Scaring myself from mental breakdowns + My mental health and problems.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Throughout my teenage years, I’ve had to overcome much adversary. Mainly due to my dad having a disease called ALS. He cannot talk or eat with his mouth, he has very little energy, a weakened immune system, and is extremely skinny.

He is pretty much completely housebound and I’ve watched him digress and die slowly and painfully for about the past 5 years. He cannot work, and neither can my mom, because she has to constantly take care of him. This has lead to many traumatic events and there have been many independent ones too: My mom was an alcoholic who had to go to rehab for a long time. My lifelong friend committed suicide several months ago (I then had to see my lifelong family friends (his parents, who are family to me) completely break). I’ve had multiple deaths of close family members happen (often close to each other). I’ve seen my family break many times. A couple weeks ago, my dog, which I’ve had for as long as I can remember, died.

We love each other more than anything in the world, and have grown more resilient.

I’ve recently moved from a public school into a private prep school. The change has been great (educationally-wise), but my friends from my old school, though not far away, mean everything to me and are like brothers to me.

I often talk to them online through Xbox, but I’m online less and less as I take in more responsibilities. There’s, also, only so much satisfaction that voice communication and playing online can give you.

We’re very busy oftentimes, and even though it’s usually only weeks that go by that I don’t see them, it feels longer and longer every time. Everytime we do get together, it goes by quickly, and I am usually left feeling alone again.

Also, I sometimes feel a subtle, but present, divide between us. They collectively pick on me in a joking way, and while I often find it humorous myself, it can be degrading and annoying.

Sorry for the explanation, but it may give you some insight into my mental suffering and stability.

Info: 

I’m a 17-year-old guy

I’ve been diagnosed with depression, and more recently, ADD. I take medication for both of these.

I’ve had long episodes of severe depression before being properly medicated

I have not, and won’t ever, commit suicide or self-harm. I hate pain and I’ve seen how suicide can destroy other’s lives. My parents would emotionally die. 

I consider myself to not be mentally healthy. I am, often, severely anxious and stressed. I’m really insecure and have low self-esteem. I’ve had troubling doubts in my sexuality for a long time. I often shift from being introverted to extroverted, though I feel like I’m only outgoing at times to mask my insecurities. 

I’m very open about my troubles, but I feel like I need an opinion on my psyche.

I feel very isolated and alone at times, even when I’m surrounded by people. 

Now, the main problem: I often have private, but emotionally powerful outbursts. Under too much stress/anxiety, I’ll scream, cry, and talk to myself in outbursts,  as well as having uncontrollable anger (not usually physically damaging, I don’t break stuff, I’ll just beat up my pillow or other things). I’ll jerk around in a seemingly insane frenzy, my face being distorted and filled with rage and pain. I live in the woods, so I’ll walk into it, destroying trees and screaming until my throat hurts.  

This really scares me. I’ve looked at myself in the mirror for long periods of time, wondering if I’m insane.

If anyone can give me some advice, or tell me what might be wrong with me, I’d really appreciate it. I’ll try to check in and respond. 

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Wolfen, I don't think you are crazy.  I am also 17 years old and it is a hard age...especially when dealing with anxiety, depression, ADD... etc.  Everything is intense... We are not mature enough to deal with all these problems that  life gives us.  I think that you are depressed.... and going into the woods ...letting out your anger and frustration is a very healthy way to cope.  It seems as though you have developed very good coping skills. I do the same thing... I go to an isolated place and just let go.... I can get very angry about my situation ... but we must never go into self-pity.  We must keep on pressing forward. Put up your boundaries .When anyone  makes fun of me.. ..I will make fun of them. We need to learn how to laugh at ourselves. Just stay level headed and make fun of them in a playful way.. Your self-esteem will get better once you intergrate into your new school. Also, once these teenage years go by... self-esteem goes way up. The teen years can be the worst.  I have moved around a lot and I go to school...do my work and come home. I have social anxiety., so I don't make friends easily at all.. and I am always taking out books about self-esteem, boundaries, etc. Make a nice safe space for yourself in the house... that is what I have done. I also remember to take my meds everyday as I could go into psychosis if I don't.  We need to work with the cards we are dealt in this lifetime.  Remember that everyone has a story and that mine or your story is pretty good compared to others.  I pray and read the scriptures... I also watch only comedy and love Kipling's poem, "IF"... I have it memorized.  Before I forget... I was out in the woods early this morning... crying my eyes out ...really loudly... and it felt wonderful. It doesn't scare me at all.... It's either that or run around the house/track...etc. 25 times to get rid of all the excess energy causing the anger and depression,

Please talk to a therapist and see if it helps.  I see a psychiatrist and the meds have really make my life much better. I was not able to function before I started taking them.  I give myself a big push and workout in my room... write a journal full of positive quotes, healthy eating and exercise. I have learned to switch my focus from self-pity, depression, anger, sadness to something empowering. I feel like the more I exercise and get strong... the more mentally I am strong.  

These are just some suggestions. I am praying for you Wolfen xx Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.