Scarlet fever does it go on for ever?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with A typical scarlet fever when she was about 6 years old. This was after being sent home from school with a temperature of 104 and having a sore throat a headache stomach ache and being sick. We took her to the dr's and she was seen by a nurse who thought she had meningitis. The Dr then saw her and diagnosed Tonsilitis. This went on for 1 month with my daughter getting gradually worse and the Dr's visits getting more regular. She never had a rash and she never had the strawbery tongue. On the 4th week her skin started peeling from her hands and feet. Not just a little but like a snake shedding skin. Her dr was of as it was a saturday so another dr didnt read her notes he diagnosed dermatitis. She was due to go back to school on the monday. Monday she was really ill her temperature had shot back up and i took her back to the dr. The doctor actually got cross with my daughter and said she didnt know what was wrong with her and that she would have to send her to the hospital the next day to the walk in clinic to see if they could find out what was wrong with her. She took a throat culture just to cover herself. The next day we walked in to the hospital childrens clinic and the doctor took one look at my daughters still peeling hands and diagnosed Scarlet fever straight away. He sent us straight home armed with the antibiotics that she should have been on from the start. My daughter had to have throat cultures taken every two weeks for a further 2 months before she could return to school. In all she missed 3 months of school all because of a missed diagnosis at the start.

What i want to know though is, does anyone else still suffer peeling skin. 10 years later and she is still suffering. Not all the time but if she is run down or gets a virus her skin starts to peel off her hands and feet. Not as badly but still noticibly. Has anyone got any ideas?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my duaghter has had scarlet fever diagnosed 4 times in the past 8 weeks they keep giving her anti boitics and then it clears it up for a week then it comes back! Yeh she has has skin peeling which i am going to the doctors today about!
  • Posted

My little boy has had two relapses of scarlet fever in a month; as soon as he finishes antibiotics it comes back within 48 hours. How ever did you get rid of this thing in the end?
  • Posted

I had scarlet fever as a child <10 years old. My hands and feet still peel yearly (but now about a month out...over 50 years later). 

Luckily, this seems to be all. I was treated with antibiotics within three days max. of catching it, and responded very well, being back at school within two weeks.

• Posted

Same with me. 69 years old and still have periodic peeling of skin on my hands.

• Posted

Antibiotics can kill strep bacteria, which will ease rash, fever, and throat symptoms. You can also give a child acetaminophen or ibuprofen to bring down a fever and reduce throat and swollen gland pain. A warm (but not hot) bath containing oatmeal, like Aveeno, might calm an itchy scarlet fever rash.
  • Posted

When I was a child in the 50s I had scarlet fever. I remember the hand and foot skin peeling. It did happen again but just a few times. It went away and I grew up to be very healthy. Hope she gets better.
  • Posted

I just stumbled on this. I had scarlet fever when I was 8. The peeling was awful that I was bleeding. The peeling lasted about a month. Now its been about 35 years, I was recently sick which doesn't happen often. But when I do get sick my hands and feet still peel. Its been about 2 weeks now and I'm just frustrated because it hurts so bad. I hope your daughter is better but it might just be something she'll have to get used to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.