Scars and skin problems after Shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Because I have scars from shingles and some worrisome red blotchy areas, where the shingles were, I did some research today. According to my research, shingles scars tend to be deep red or even purple. The scars can lay flat against the skin though some, like mine, can be raised or even pitted. I read that cooked oatmeal cooled to a soft stage, can be applied directly to the skin and rubbed into it. Rub in the oatmeal for 15-20 minutes per day. It is said by many that this process will fade or eliminate shingles scars. Rubbing the oatmeal into the skin everyday, some claim, will not only help scarring but also it will ease neuralgia pain and itching. I'm going to try this oatmeal treatment. Hopefully, it will help.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

Do you just cook the oatmeal and apply it were?
    • Posted

Yes. You just cook the oatmeal as you normally would to eat it.

Then, let it cool and rub it into your shingles scars or in the area where you have nerve pain for 15 or 20 minutes every day. I don't know if it will work but according to a lot of people it does help to reduce the scars and pain. 

• Posted

Tiffany,

You are correct that oatmeal will definitely help with the itching and burning of neuralgia, although the effect is temporary. As soon as the oatmeal is removed, the itching returns. Having had severe itching due to allergic reactions to medications involving my entire body, I would take oatmeal baths 3x per day.

I am uncertain if it helps resolve the redness.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

In regard to the oatmeal rub, I am willing to try any natural rememdies that might help me at this point.

I guess each person is different in how they react to all medications and procedures in regard to shingles problems. What works for one person, may not work for another. If the oatmeal rub helps me even a little, it's worth it, I guess. 

Warm wishes, Tiffany

• Posted

Tiffany,

It was a lifesaver for me during those difficult itching periods. You can purchase Aveeno Oatmeal Baths in the States, which are highly soothing. Less work than cooking oatmeal...interestingly, the lotions and potions with oatmeal I have never found to help with my extremely itchy skin. I have severe eczema and allergies to many even milder non-perfumed soaps and detergents. I shall private message you today regarding what I use.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I've had nerve damage on my head for going on 8 month and I think i have tried just about everything including liquid B 12 that I have been taking for 5 days,  but that. The doctor put me on Lyrica but I didn't see much of a differance so I qiut taking it. I am lucky to get a couple of hours of sleep a night. The depressing thing is that it doesn;t feel any better now then 3 month ago.

• Posted

I am at the same stage Joseph. At month number eight as well. My neuralgia and burning is on forehead and also on the bony ridge of the brow and behind the eye. Just won't go away...Some daysxare worse than others. Lyrics was suggested but did not want to take medication that one has to be slowly weaned off. I do know the pain can last for months to years and that scares me. I also have vision complications and dry eye from the shingles affecting the right eye. None of my glasses work for more than a few hours at a time as my vision changes throughout the day.

• Posted

Millwood and Joseph,

I do know that the scars and nerve pain can last for a long time, maybe forever. But, I also know several people who had after shingles nerve pain and it got slowly better. It's different for all individuals. It's important for me to have hope that over time the pain may at least lessen. I have some days or nights when the pain seems better and I don't feel it much. Then, if I don't get enough sleep and I am going through a lot of stress, the pain feels a lot worse. 

• Posted

Hi Millwood,

I have severe dry eyes and my ophthalmologist placed silicone plugs in the lacrimal lower punctum that drain the tears. I also use Retain Eye MOISTURIZER -buy it on Amazon. Retain eye drops contain the special oil layer ingredients most like your own tears that keeps your eyes moist.

I had shingles in my right eye twice and scleritis, an inflammation of the white part of the eye, three times in both eyes.

I am sorry you are going through this process with us. I do hope that this information helps.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Millwood,

When your eyes are dry, your vision changes as the eyes need the tears or film layer on top to round out your eye ball or cornea. Hence, you need the silicone plugs and Retain Eye Drops. BTW, I have no stock in the company....i just know it helps much more than the other eye drops!

Also, when my eyes are dry, my eyes hurt more. They were helped so much by both.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry. What are silicone plugs? Does an opthalmologist put them in tear ducts? Re the eye drops... Will look for them. Am in Canada do not share if the are sold here.
    • Posted

That should read not sure if they are sold here!
    • Posted

Oops read your last post first... I see you answered all my questions. Thanks!
    • Posted

First an ophthalmologist places collagen plugs in the punctums to see if you will tolerate them. They dissolve in three months. Rarely, people do not tolerate them-their body rejects them and or they keep falling out. Then the ophthalmologist places the silicone plugs in permanently.

Retain works far better than the other eye drops. Usually, you cannot find them in the local pharmacy. Please let me know how this works.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks so much. I see my opthalmologist end of May and will bring plugs up. Checked on Amazon for drops...They do have them on the Amazon Canada web site. Not cheap are they!
    • Posted

No, but they last a long time. The plastic vials are recapable, meaning that you truly need one drop per eye, recap, and reuse six hours later. A vial may last two days.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oh, that is good to know. So far I have been using a German made lubricant that has no additives called Hylo. I don't find it especially great but my opthalmologist wanted me to try it. It costs close to $40. So not a lot of difference.

• Posted

Google Retaine (shopping )and you can get compare prices online for about half the price on Amazon-US. It is most affordable, then compared to the German product. It is an emulsion, and works far better than the key ingredient in your product, hyaluronic acid.

Hope this helps you

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks again. what has exacerbated my situation is that I had radial keratotomy back in the 1980s...The forerunner of Lasik to improve distance vision. With RK the cornea was cut with a diamond scalpel to flatten the cornea. It resulted in problems for almost anyone who had it done. My vision became over corrected so I had to wear reading glasses to drive! The shingles made the right eye almost 20/20 for some of the day as it reduced the over correction. So now I need different glasses every few hours and none is perfect. Nothing can be done about that at all.
    • Posted

When you are old enough to have cataracts, then the intraocular lens implant should be able to change that problem. The scleritis and shingles induced a slightly earlier onset of cataract formation in my fifties. I could not read even 18 font, which was horrifying to me. Fortunately, it was just cataracts, a fixable problem.

Many conservative ophthalmologists in the States don't recommend even Lasik surgery due to the unforseen complications.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I have the beginning of a cataract in the affected eye. But was told by three opthalmologists having the cataract surgery would not help. Told I could not even havea cornea transplant as the cuts from the scalpel made the eye too fragile.
    • Posted

Millwood, sounds the same as mine. I started 5000 mil. of B 12 a week ago because I seen that it was supposed to help but as if yet no difference. I was taking pain pills for 3 month and I tried Gabapentin. No help. I was on Lyrica I think I'm going to start that again. I am at a point where I will try anything. I was wondering if there was a study I could get in but haven't found any yet.

• Posted

Not heard of any studies except a five year one at University of New York to judge the value of taking antiviral meds long-term to help post shingles neuralgia.did you find lyrica helped?
    • Posted

I didn't see much of a differance when I took it before, but I have it so I'm going to try it again. 

• Posted

I was scared to try it since the list of side effects is so long. Let me know how it goes this time.
    • Posted

I had no idea about shingles or my having chicken pox as a kid. I thought I had muscle pain and applied heat and my shingles flare up manifested the exact size and shape of the heating pad literally the next day. It was excruciating and horrible. Absolutely no medical help except to ride it through. PLEASE share info for people who might be candidates for this as it is devastating. Its been over 2 years since my flare-up. Couldn't get the vaccine as I was exhibiting symptoms. I finally lied and said I have no symptoms just to get care aka vaccinated as I am afraid of another major flare-up. Over 2 years later and still have small bumps appear. By the grace of God, major symptoms subsided just as they were creeping up my neck toward my face. 2 yrs and still pain in the major area. Burning sensations that vary in degree. Major scar tissue spots around the initial area left behind. No info on corrective measures as I am left to look like a burn victim. Tropical treatments do nil. I hope no one has to experience this. I sympathize with those who have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.