Scars/Dark Spots from Lichen Planus - how do you get rid of them?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am lucky to have my Lichen Planus go into remission after taking a 3 week trip to Africa (lots and lots of sun!) and using high doses of Prednisone. It hasn't returned since February.

However, I am left with all these dark spots/scars/pigmentation marks on my arms / body / legs. How do you get rid of them as quickly as possible?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil,

Congratulations on achieving remission with LP! I agree with you that exposure to the strong sun may have helped considerably; I also used to get temporary remissions after continuous exposure to the sun and ocean, during tropical vacations. I did not try Prednisone while suffering from LP for 20 years, but knowing it is an anti-inflammatory drug, I think it's logical to assume it may have helped as well.

What eventually cured me completely of LP, and especially of these dark spots you were referring to, was patience while taking 600mg of St. John's Wort Extract per day. After 5 or 6 months of oral intake, they were completely gone, and haven't returned for close to seven years now. No, this was not a quick fix, unfortunately.

I can't promise you the same results as each person appears to react differently, but some people suffering from various forms of atopic dermatitis have told me they found relief, if not an outright cure, either in less time, or more time than myself.

Asides from being well known as a natural anti-depressant and sleep aid, I encourage you to read in depth about SJW on your own; you will likely find out, just like I did, that it has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and wound healing properties, among many others. It is also likely better to take it alone, since it may interact with other medications, should you be taking any.

Cheers,

Greg.

• Posted

Thanks Greg I've been taking 600 mg of St Johns Wort per day, I'll continue to use it and see if the dark spots make any progress.

• Posted

Terrific Neil, I didn't realize you were already trying it out! Any interesting effects so far?

I'll try to describe how the slow disappearance of plaques and scar tissue became noticeable after a while: when taking a bath and lightly rubbing the fingers over the lesioned areas, it was often possible to see the superficial layers of skin peel off little by little, as if they were made of rubber cement. This was absolutely painless, until all the "sick" skin layers were completely replaced with time.

I hope you will achieve comparable results, as I no longer have a single visible proof on my body that I have ever suffered from this annoying disease.

May your patience pay off!

Greg.

• Posted

Skin bleaching cream hydroquinon, other creams as well, laser. Glad to hear your good news.

• Posted

IPL (intensive pulse laser) worked for the scars left on my face.

• Posted

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if my doctor can prescribe that.

• Posted

Can you tell me the exact product you used? Did you order it off Amazon or see a clinic for this?

• Posted

It was done by my dermatologist at her office.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.