Scars, success & skin! Potential bander looking for the answers!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a band but a few things holding me back from the yes:

Scars - how well do they heal? Would you have preferred the single incision op?

Success - what's your success been and how long did it take to achieve? Do u feel your band adjustments were timely & enough?

Skin - looking to find our people's skin reaction vs weightloss ie 8 stone weightloss, left with excess skin or 6 stone weightloss no skin issues etc.

Surgeon - anyone been to a surgeon in Scotland? Would you recommend?

And any general advice! I am 14stone looking to lose 4 stone initially but may go for 1 more depending on how I feel and look.

Thanks,

Kim x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim

i have not had surgery, and struggle with my weight.

i think excess skin, depends on age as well as anything, I am 55 have lost 2 stone, so far, so good, but I have 4 stone to lose, I was told by a surgeon that if u lose weigh too quickly then the skin doesn't have time to adjust, so I decided in the end against a band. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Well done on the loss so far! Yeah I'm struggling to decide as it seems most people lose 2 pounds a week which is about 'normal' for a diet so shouldn't impact on skin but perhaps if losing more it could be an issue.

I like the idea of the band being permanent and adjustable so you can alter it to your needs

• Posted

HI Kimberley - i had a band 7 yrs ago and the scars are nothing more than little silver lines now - i have 4 small scars where the op was carried out  laparoscopically and a bigger scar where my port is however the small scars healed very quickly and the bigger scar took longer but i had no bother with it - just had to keep it covered up and clean and dry - to have had just one incision would have meant not doing the op laparoscopically and this would have been more involve and taken longer to heal and recover so my answer to yr first question is No.

with hindsight i would have pressed to have my fills quicker to buid up my restriction quicker but at the time i went with the advice of my surgeon - i got there in the end but it took a yr - i achieved 60% wgt loss which is what was predicted so i am considered a success even though i never got to that magical BMI of 25.

overall i have lost 10 stones - partially with the band and partially with wgt watchers and yes i have some lose skin but its better than what was there before and i can live with it

no experience of surgery in scotland and my general advice would be to do lots of research either through joining a support group or try an organisation such as WLSinfo to learn more about what a band involves - its not a magic wand - just a tool to help you lose wgt and you have to work with it  - there are negatives as well as positives

• Posted

Hi Bandid,

Thanks for the advise, really inspiring!! I'm kind of over the scars now, my thinking is do I want to be fat and no scars or thin and have.... No brainier now.

So sick of how I look and how it's making me feel. Booked for 9th. I really want healthier weight but can't get it to work with my work schedule. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.