Scary Experience

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last night I was in bed and as I was drifting off to sleep I felt this weird feeling like I was slipping into a deep sleep. It felt like I was leaving here. I awoke startled with my heart beating fast. I got up and went into my living room and started walking around to try and calm myself down. I started praying and deep breathing. I felt internal tremors and jerking. It took a while to calm down and for the shaking to stop . I didn't get back to sleep until 3:00am. Every time I tried to get some sleep I kept waking up thinking it would all happen again. It was so frightening and unsettling. Anyone else get this?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The past few months I've been having strange sensations like I'm aware of when I'm falling asleep and feel tremors that are coming from my chest and feels like my veins and blood are shaking too. Sounds strange but that's the best way I can describe it. It's disturbing. I'm not waking at that point but I guess I'm slipping into sleep.

I'm taking it as a part of my brain is aware of that moment when I'm slipping into sleep or deep sleep not really sure which.

• Posted

I have!! several times. extremely scary! started 2 years ago. that is kind of what began my introduction to all this and caused me to have anxiety which I never had before. 🤷‍

• Posted

I'm so sorry your feeling this way. Sounds like anxiety to me or a panic attack. Both can do all kinds of crazy things. Internal tremors, jerking, pacing, shaking. The list goes on. It's possible it could be something else though. Best to get it checked out. I don't know how old you are. Those symptoms align with perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause though. Very similar symptoms. I hope you feel better soon! Take care.

• Posted

I've had this before and you go to the doctor and they can't tell you anything. You come away feeling like you've wasted your time and money.

• Posted

shar-

isn't that the truth! I feel like I've wasted time and money at the doctor when they look at you like they have no idea about perimenopause/menopause symptoms and all the stuff that goes along with it. I had a doctor tell me when I first started having peri symptoms that I was too young to be starting into the menopause transition - I was 45 years old! Thought I just had "anxiety" - I have read that a lot of doctors don't really study it in med school...they barely touch on it. How stupid!! Every woman goes through it either naturally or by the way of hysterectomy. They need to dedicate a good portion of their studies to us! in my opinion 😃

• Posted

Same here. My Gyn told me that I couldn't be having menopause symptoms because I was still getting my cycle. I'm 48 and it can happen way earlier but, some say that's the magic number for it!!! I never heard of peri so, I go to my primary who says anxiety and depression. I'm like "I'm not depressed - this is physical!" Then they look at you like your crazy. I feel all woman should be screened for it in their 30's or 40's and taken seriously. For the woman who feel this pain and don't breeze through this. Real support is needed. It blows my mind that the rug can literally be pulled out from beneath. Ruin your life and impact your family and jog and it's not a topic of importance. (smh)

• Posted

I've had doctors tell me that I was too young to be going through it too. It's so frustrating.

• Posted

I had doctors tell me that because I was still seeing my period it wasn't menopause. They wanted to put me on an antidepressant. I took one pill it gave me diarrhea. I stopped taking it so they put me on another one, I almost passed out. The side effects had me so weak it was unreal. I just muddle through every day taking one day at a time. I try herbal supplements but my only problem is that I never stay consistent with them enough to know if they work!

• Posted

Yep, due to the severe anxiety and panic attacks I initially had. I was given one antidepressant. I had severe peri symptoms. Lost 20 lbs quick and felt off. Tried one other and wound up in the ER with bruising and itching all over my legs which appeared over night. I was done. I looked like someone beat me! The last one made me feel numb. No emotion. Just flat and apparently some ppl have that side effect. I mean I wanted the anxiety gone but, that's not me and I'm not going through life emotionless. I will go out kicking and screaming before I deal with that. I'm muddling through too and taking a lot of otc supplements and herbs. I don't even want to think about the money I've spend over the past couple months on supplements. I've never taken so many in my life. Like friggin vitamin shop in my house. I have been consistent for about a month and I do see improvements but, it's very slow shifts each day. Just keep taking them, rest and no stress! Hugs

• Posted

I had the same response from my doctor. They said I was too young for the anxiety to be related to perimenopause. I explained how the symptoms increase before my period. I habe even had my obgyn tell me that my cervix still had some pink color so my hormones couldnt be that bad. I have had two doctors refuse to test my hormones. It is like we are forgotten and doctors dont want to be bothered with this stage of our life.

• Posted

The vast majority of doctors seem to be totally clueless about peri! It's so frustrating. If you want to feel assured that you are not alone (aside from this forum) check out some of the podcasts about menopause that are out there. One of my favorites is Sweaty and P****d. Lots of good information and humor. xo

• Posted

Yes! To every comment on here. This was one of my earliest symptoms after turning 40, hyper awareness of my heartbeat when trying to fall asleep. It sometimes feels like it is pounding in my throat.

Same response from Doctors, anxiety...they refused to listen to me when I said I had zero anxiety or issues before my health got weird. It seems the medical community is taught that symptoms only happen at menopause, but the body prepares for years ahead of time for some of us I guess.

I started to really pay attention and noticed this symptom happened only about a week before menstruation. Likely due to a steep drop in estrogen or whatever hormones bring on menstruation. I started magnesium glycinate 400mg 30 minutes before bed and it helps to a point.

I still get it sometimes but once I saw the pattern of when it happened, I realized I wasn't dying and just expect I won't sleep well several nights a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.