Scary experience on Atenolol. I want to taper off.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Someone please help me.. I've been on atenolol for about 7 months for hypertension and migraines. my blood pressure usually is about 133/85. The last 3 months have been the worse months of my life. I've been having terrible heart problems, palpitations, sharp chest pains, brain fog, fatigue, muscle and full body weakness, jitters, and panic attacks. I've been hospitalized 5 times in the last 3 months thinking I was having a heart attack(which wasn't the case). My doctor is negligent, I told her I wanted to be taken off of beta blockers since my blood pressure isn't too bad, I figured with weight loss and diet change it could be controlled. My doctor completely ignored the fact that I am having these issues and refused to address them. she switched me from atenolol 50mg to propranolol 160mg. She didn't even try to help get to the bottom of these issues. she acted as if I was bothering her. I'm 29 years old. I've never had any type of heart issues until I started this horrible medicine. I feel like its ruining my life. My doctor does not respect my wishes to be taken off this medication. I have made the decision to wean myself off of atenolol. I don't want to be forced to take something that makes me feel the worst I've ever felt in my life. I just want to feel like myself again. I have a 5 year old child and I can't have these kind of problems. I was better off without this poisonous medicine. can anyone please give me any tips or pointers, share your eexperiences,.. Tell me how long it took you to get back to normal, what were your withdrawal symptoms.. I just need help, I don't want to feel like this anymore. I am so scared. i keep thinking I'm going to die if I keep this up.. I have switched doctors and will be going to get a second opinion from a different doctor Monday. I just need reassurance that things will get better.. I can't take this anymore. I'm so stressed and afraid.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having such problems with your betablocker. I had exactly the same problems as yourself and was put on bisoprolol which is also a beta blocker. I wish I had read the side effects of betablockers because I would never have taken it. I had so many side effects and actually ended up in hospital with what they though was a stroke but again was a side effect. They have caused me to have very low blood pressure and palpitations. I was advised to wean off it but again because the withdrawal effects have been dreadful I am now just starting the 8th month of I hope final withdrawal, still suffering palpitations and have been informed that I may suffer rebound symptoms afterwards for several months. I had only been on 2.5mgs for 3 months before starting to withdraw and feel I have lost a year of my life with this debilitating drug.

It is always advisable to ask your doctor if you can withdraw from them and if you were found not to have any heart condition. You could ask to be put on another blood pressure tablet wilh less side effects.

I must also say bisoprolol actually gave me more anxiety and feelings of depression.

If you do withdraw and suffer symptoms drop your dose slowly and stay on it for several days until you feel ok and then drop again. It will be a long haul but you will get there and you may be lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms at all.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi i am on the last quarter of 25 mg Atenolol tablet in my withdrawal process. Are you still having problems ?

• Posted

These issues seem to be anxiety related. The medication isnt working if it causes more problems then it solves. You need to ask for a change of medication. Consult the doctor with your concerns. You need to also look after your body naturally and it will treat you better too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.