Scary Gabapentin side effects

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello all

I started taking Gabapentin for a nerve problem in my foot in November 2015 starting at 300mg and working up to 900mg over 6 weeks. At the end of May this stopped having an effect so the doctor doubled the dose - again increasing in 2 weekly amounts. I stopped at 1200mg as this was working for me and still does now.

However, i have had some pretty nasty side effects. The headaches i can cope with (having been on Prozac for depression for nearly 8 years i had them with that too). Loss of appetite and flatulence were okay too.

I've had foot swelling and anxiety attacks - not okay but the latest episode really scared me. I was walking to the shops and felt my balance going (this happens anyway because of spinal problems) but then i had a terrifying spinning sensation and had to grab a post and couldn't let go. The episode lasted for about 5 minutes but seemed much longer. Fortunately i had a friend with me. He said i looked okay. I know this is one of the possible side effects. Has anyone else experienced this?

I will be making a doctor appointment tomorrow. 

1 like, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have definitely put on weight but I was chalking it up to being far less mobile since before the accident/starting Gabapentin.

Has anyone maintained approximately the same level of mobility since before and after they started taking GABA and still experienced weight gain?

• Posted

I just started on Gaba . Doc prescribed 100 Mg TID. totally innefective, thimking seriously about just dumping in in the trash. Been on it two days

• Posted

Don't know why you are taking it but if it was me don't take it  horrible horrible medicine and dangerous  I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones getting off of it...last one I took was October 13 2016.......systoms can last for months and even up to a year.......I would advise you to get off it 

• Posted

I have no feeling in my right little finger and ring finger and the heel of my hand. at times it fels like the fingers and had are in ice then in boiling water. I so far have felt no effects to the medication is either directiction. It still hurts. I will give this one more day and if I feel no relief I will stop.
    • Posted

good for you stop it i am stopping mine only been on it a week 100 mg can not take this stuff 

• Posted

I don't usually post but this is a really interesting thread.

I've been on gaba for around 3 years, starting on 100mg once a day, then titrating it up over time. At first I experienced some awful side effects, at one point I was admitted to the stroke unit for 3 days as I couldn't see properly & couldn't walk without holding onto walls to steady myself. They quickly worked out it was the gaba, dropped my dose for a while & then began to titrate it up again.

I'm now on 2700mg per day (900mg 3x per day). I've been on this for a couple of years & it does help my pain. I sometimes wonder if it's doing anything but if I forget a dose & my pain returns, I can see that it's working.

I have what I call wobbly heads & often feel as if I'm drunk, it causes me to weave around when I'm walking (not a good look when I'm doing the school run first thing!)

I have been wondering if it was vertigo - for some reason I never put it down to the gaba. I take it for fibromyalgia (& back probs) so it could be the fibro too. Apart from this, it does suit me but I am thinking of dropping a tablet here & there to lower my dose a bit & see what happens.

It's all scary stuff - the tablets themselves are scary when you read the leaflets, it's scary when you realise what it's doing to your body (not the pain relief bit!) and it's scary when you feel you want to reduce or come off them; will the pain return, will there be side effects, how long will it take.

It's difficult to know what is best.

Just wanted to offload a bit - thank you if you've got this far!!!😁

• Posted

One of the side effects of gabapentin is dizziness...the med may be too strong for you  did you talk to your dr???  Be very very careful when you taper off....You are on a high dosage   this medicine is dangerous.  I wouls only do 100 to 200 mg every 4 weeks
    • Posted

I don't like what it has done in the 3 days I took it. I can tolerate a lot of pain but being out of control and feeling paranoid just don't cut it for me. I am trashing it.

• Posted

talking to my doctor takes an act of congress anyway, I just quit taking it. I hate what it does I would rather suffer the pain. Thanks rita

• Posted

Its a very dangerous med...It screws with your brain...changing chemicals....I am now off of it since October 13 2016   so happy
    • Posted

Hello, Rita, I wish I had read about this medication prior.

see my reply to Meganpooch here for my story.

How was the withdrawal?

Hope You are doing better now.

Gregg.

• Posted

Hi Gregg...I consider myself very lucky considering what I heard people go through......been off of it since October 2016......I had a very bad acid reflux attack the end of December........still get dizzy here and there........don't know if this is part of the withdrawals......I did get withdrawals after 5 days.....stomach issues meaning acid reflux and dizziness that was not the worse but not good......lasted a few days ...then great and another attack two weeks after and then one and a half months later again acid reflux but really bad....now maybe that was a combination of things.  Like eating stuff because of holidays!!!  LOL  never again.......Iv'e heard the withdrawls can last up to one year........really dont know if this stuff is comng from med....was on it for 15 months...most of the time it was 400 mg and I came off of it very very very slowly.......you are so right...it messes with your brain.....from what I u nderstand it takes awhile for your brain to adust...some days I feel really really tired......but i keep going lol..I will read now what you wrote to Meganpooch    Keep well......

• Posted

Hi im due to start taking gabapentin nxt wk and doing it over 5 levels to taking 1800mg a day im worried over side effects plus i also take other medication some advice would be grateful as i really dont no whether to start taking in or not.

Thanks tracey

• Posted

If I may ask, did you start taking gabapentin?

Any comments you could share with us?

I have gabapentin but as of yet

have not taken any. 

• Posted

I have had leg & toe pain for 4 years after a blood clot in my leg. I went to a neuroligest today. He prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg a day. After reading the posts here I am debating if I want to take it. I already have enough problems controling my anxiety. I was prescribed Lyrican at 75 mg, took 1 pill & quite. It takes very little meds to make me feel dizzy & numb. I will keep reading this post but I rather put up with the pain than be dizzy and feeling doped up.

• Posted

I have no sensation of heat nor cold in the little finger of my right hand, but I have pain if it gets cold or hot or I simply put it against something I was prescribed 100Mg three times a day. After 1 week I tossed it away. I could not get myself started, I had no will to do anything but sit in a recliner. I would rather amputate the finger than take the Gabapentin.  I know it's not an option but taking the pills is not an option either.

• Posted

Melody 78749, thank you for the reply. That's what I'm thinking will happen based on my previous experience. No sense starting taking it if I will need to quit. 

• Posted

I know how You feel.

Hoppe something else works for You.

Good Luck. Gregg. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.