Scary heart beats

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies 

Does any one else experience ectopic heart beats 

It’s scary and makes me cough to get my heart beating normal again . Have read it can be down to low oestrogen levels.

Does any one else get this 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have definately noticed this in the last month or so.  I think it is linked to low estrogen levels and am going to try and monitor it so I can find a link
  • Posted

Hi Lisa ... yes I’ve been having the ectopic heartbeats for years on and off they scare me to death still .... saw my cardiologist last month and she said her clinic was full of ladies my age 55 who are experiencing them I had a 3 day r test which came back ok like you I cough too to bring it back to normal yes it’s got a lot to do with our hormones I work with cardiologist so pretty lucky and gives me peice of mind but I still worry about them and peri has bought on lots of health anxieties which in return make my ectopic worse , normally they are benign beats and although are awlful most are pretty harmless , maybe get an appointment to discuss with your gp .... stay strong x
    • Posted

Thanks Jan 

I work in a hospital so might be cheeky and speak to a cardiologist 

I also have a PFO which is a whole in my heart but is tiny so think I should just get it checked 

The menopause is so debilitating at a time in a women’s life when we should be enjoying life 

• Posted

Yes definitely ask a cardiologist at work they are mostly helpful to help us colleagues.... because of your background get it checked piece of mind helps so much ... wish you all the best on your journey x
  • Posted

Yes this is a common symptom of the menopause (and peri). I had it and it is scary, it was one of my first symptoms of perimeno. The British Heart Foundation have a leaflet on it. On one site I read that when it is happening, bear down gently, as though in childbirth or on the toilet. This then sets the heart rhythm going correctly.
  • Posted

I have heart palpitations for a few years now. Sometimes the palpitation is so strong it makes me cough. Very scary! I too have health Anxiety due to perimenopause. Glad I am not the only one. I thought I was losing my mind.
    • Posted

Hi Dorothy 

This is the scariest of all the symptoms for me I must admit 

It’s just comes on all of a sudden so you can’t do anything to avoid it 

How long in to peri menopause are you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.