Scary symptoms, anyone else?

Posted , 28 users are following.

All of a sudden I am experiencing really scary symptoms. I was wondering if they are the same as anyone else? .

What is really concerning to me are the recent feelings I have had over the past several days. I had feelings similar to anxiety. This past weekend I felt not quite right with weakness in my arms. I thought perhaps I was dehydrated and too much caffeine.(No caffeine since.) I also felt like I could not take a deep enough breathe. And when I tried to sleep I felt an overwheming feeling of doom and jolted awake a few times as I drifted off to sleep. Since then, over the last few days I have felt weakness in my arms and a kind of warmth or heat. I also felt the tingling sensation like they had fallen asleep. I wouldn't describe the feeling in my chest as "pains", but I just feel "aware" of my chest and heart beat, if that makes sense? It's really scary! It feels like my heart is beating very strongly and sometimes more quickly. It made me think that I might be having a heart attack. Then of course, I get anxious and feel panicked. The feeling eventually subsides but it has come back and more intensely this morning. I've read thru this forum and found that other women talk about feeling like they are dying or ending up in the ER because they thought it was a heart attack. Is this similar to aynone's experience?

I wasn't really concerned with my initial symptons that seem to relate to perimenopause. I'm 47, have not missed a period yet, just slightly irregular. I have had night sweats for several years fairly steady then on and off. Have some slight depression, weight gain, feeling of bloating and irritability. An occassional feeling of anxiety. I used to be a great sleeper but over the past year find that I can't always fall or stay asleep. I just haven't felt quite like myself and feel rather lethargic and foggy. My libido has dropped also. I am petrified of these new symptons and also afraid of doctors.

?Thanks for listening

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wondering if you are taking any PPI's like Nexium? When I tried it I would startle awake like that. Awful feeling.

But yes, I'm having extremely severe symptoms if you've seen my other posts. Have seem so many doctors and have had so many tests. Doctors starting prescribing antidepressants which I didn't take. I went to a psychiatrist yesterday and she confirmed that I definitely do not suffer from anxiety or depression

Peri can cause awful stuff to some of us, not sure why. To be safe you should get your heart checked just to make sure. If it's OK, it's probably just another lovely symptom of perimenohell. 

I'm seeing a doctor about my hormones later today. I saw the labwork he ran and my progesterone was a 0.4 and should be between 3.34 - 25.56 ng/ml in the Luteal phase where I was. So clearly I have no progesterone and too much estrogen as well. It's causing havoc in my body. 

Also the psychiatrist asked me questions yesterday, like start at 100 and subtract 7 as far as you can. I couldn't even get past the second subtraction! Then she made me repeat two numbers and three words. Ten minutes later she asked me to repeat it and I could only remember one word!! I was like, whoah!!!! What's wrong with me. She laughed and said welcome to perimenopause! She was sitting at her desk with a little fan and apologized saying "sorry, I'm having hot flashes!". LOL!!! I knew I was at the right office!

• Posted

No, I'm not taking any meds at all.

?Your psychiatrist does sound like a perfect find! And I couldn't help it, but I had to sit here and try and count back from 100 subtracting 7! LOL!

• Posted

Lol me too omg!!!

Sooo funny but I would love that psychiatrist x

• Posted

HI Suzie, I have had bad anxiety since peri and I have experienced what you are  talking about, it sort of sounds like a panic attack, I get those when I start thinking about things and I get all freaked out, 
    • Posted

It's such a terribly and scary feeling, isn't it?! I am going to rsearch some techniques to apply when I start feeling like that. Have found anything that has helped?

• Posted

I checked out panicaway[/b].com[/b] and there are strategies that involve accepting the feelings and counting backward from 21. Also deep breathing with visualization for 7 minutes. It does help but you have to use these strategies with continuity. 

• Posted

I also suffered from rapid heartbeat with butterflies in my stomach and then the heat would start and the sweating. It would happen anywhere but at work I'd just feel like i had to get out and I can't leave cause I work in retail on my own. The exhaustion is very hard to deal with. Sometimes I had no idea how I would get through the day but each time it happens you do get through. Both those problems have settled down quite a lot now thank goodness. With time the Peri symptoms settle down or change to new symptoms. That's been my experience.

• Posted

Me too...started to think I was having a heart attack. Heart palpitations, kind of hard to breathe. It's scary. Anxiety, arm weakness, waking up in a sort of panic. I hope I can sleep tonight. It's so worrisome.

• Posted

Glad I came across this post I thought I had something really serious as been having tenderness back of head and scalp tingling in fingers and arms, hot during night waking up with sweaty armpits and dry mouth - yuk i know and just been told I have low folic acid and low vitamin d - doctors not sure but I think it is perimenopause - teary watching sad things on tv and they are not even that sad - thanks 😃

• Posted

hello,

i believe I'm in perimenopause. I'm 45.

my newest symptom is painful breasts.

Any other ladies relate, or use a remedy?

my doctor shrugs me off I'm not 50 like my mom was and im still menstruating.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.