Scary thoughts

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey y'all,

Can someone PLEASE tell me that after experiencing my very first panic attack and anxiety that all these scary thoughts are coming from that? I've been dealing with this off and on for over a year. These thoughts pop up sporadically and I could just look at something that causes a scary thought. I'm on 10mg citalopram but I'm not sure if it's helping or make a it worse.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sandra i also have had extremely distressing thoughts over the last few months so started on citalopram about a month ago, i started on 10mg and moved up to 20mg a few weeks ago.  please be assured that this med (or similar meds) do help people and if they dont, they are alternatives to try until you find what is right for you.

i'm feeling quite good today which is the first since i started taking citalopram.  previously i had very worrying anxious thoughts, i would describe them as being frightened of everything, and feeling like i had no control at all on my life or my thoughts, along with suicidal feelings.

but now im feeling ok today so im hoping its the start for me of turning that corner and getting well again.  perhaps you simply need to move up to the regular theraputic dose of citalopram, which is 20mg, as stated in the leaflet, and is not considered a very high dose

you may only need a week or two to adjust to the new dose, since you have already got quite used to citalopram in your system.  it's really not long to wait, and a it's a positive step in the right direction towards taking action and working on yourself in order to feel better

• Posted

It's crazy how Anxiety controls your mind and body. But, I do appreciate your comment. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. Hugs!

• Posted

Hi Sandra! Believe me you are NOT ALONE! I'm also having scary thoughts... exactly like that, I could look at something and it can trigger it, then the thought spirals in my mind leading to a panic attack.

I am suffering at this very moment because I have come off citalopram.

I was on citalopram for 7 years, it works wonders!!!! - I think you need to increase your dose, 20mg is the common amount.

Today has been a good day, I have been taking proponol beta blockers which help with anxiety! Wow I'm tired though.

Just remember it is anxiety that is playing a trick on you.... it will go away!

Deep breathe, cut out caffeine, drink chamomile tea, try CBT.... the key is to nip the attack in the bud before it explodes.

Kate who has replied to you knows a lot.

But don't worry your sanity is there, I'm exactly the same 😐X

• Posted

Thank You! When you said it worked great for 7 years, why did you stop if you were fine? My fear is that being on it and not able to come off. I don't want a blanket to cover the problem. I want this fixed. I'm so frustrated this is happening to me. I've been a worried and feared a lot in my lifetime, but not like this. I'm hard on myself which doesn't help.... ugh.

• Posted

I also feel by upping my dose it's just making me a weaker person. I guess i just dont have alit of understanding to the meds. All but the 10mg citalioram.

• Posted

I came off them because I have felt fine for years and wanted to test myself if I could come off them, also I'm hoping to start a family this year and I wanted to try and get the drug out my system.

I've hit withdrawals and it is quite hard, but coping.

I also looked into neuromotions.. where the brain creates fake amplified emotions when withdraweling off the tablets, but can be the same when going on them.

Don't feel ashamed of going up a dose, it's not that you can't cope as a person, it is all about chemicals end of the day.. have you tried counselling or some sort of talking therapy? This forum is great I have found.

Antidepressants have a negative stigma but if they help then they help smile

Maybe 10mg is just fine for you, but added talking therapy or CBT might do the trick!

I'm hard on myself too! But we really should give ourselves a break! 😊

• Posted

Hi ! How are you doing? What mg of citalopram are you on and are you feeling better?
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, is this message for me? 😀 As I'm not on citalopram anymore, been off them 2 months... I was on 20mg then to 10mg.. then 5mg now I'm off, hence I'm on here because I've had awful anxiety 😐😮

• Posted

Are you seeing a therapist in conjunction with using your medication? Do you meditate?

My therapist (who is also a doctor) always says that anxiety is a mountain you have to climb - the medication is just a good pair of boots to do it in. You still need to put the work in.

You need to learn long term strategies to deal with anxiety. Cognitive brain training combined with medication is the only way to overcome anxiety. Read some research on the topic. Find out how citalopram works. Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

Anxiety is an all consuming, powerful force. It does incredible, terrifying things to you. Get as much help to beat it as you can.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.