Scatica

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been in so much pain over the last two weeks in my left calf radiating into upper leg and groin. Been in tears it's that bad. Been to drs many times there been saying it's muscular and wouldn't do an mri. I'm off work and just scraped the money to see a physio private he said it's acute sciatica coming from back. Can i ask what's worked for anyone else cos tried painkillers

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi bev I have sciatica been diagnosed a while Dr's still aren't much use I've tryed physio it didn't help and I've had a few painkillers that don't work either or make me to drowsy not good when have little ones my pain is getting worse especially at night I've heard injections help so I'm going back to gp

• Posted

Yeah Drs have given me painkillers but there not working got heat pad on back today. Yeah u can get injection. Did u have mri scan?
    • Posted

Yeah I had an Mrs a while back but they said it wasn't to bad but since then that was over a year ago it's getting worse groin pain and clicking burning is horrendous and I've lost some feeling in my thigh,

• Posted

Did u find it worse lying in bed just woke up it's horrendous again in my leg. Yesterday it was my back more

• Posted

Mine is worse if I'm on my feet most of the day yesterday pain was horrible after to much walking I put a pillow under my leg for bed and once I'm asleep on doesn't wake me but starts again straight away in morning just not as bad as a night,

• Posted

Sciatic nerve pain doesn’t radiate to the groin. Sounds more like a hip problem. Have you had a hip MRI? 
  • Posted

You left calf pain can sometimes be a compensating pain if it’s coming from the hip region. When you say radiating to your leg, where exactly? Front or back, sharp or dull? Have you had any tests? 
  • Posted

Ask your doc to prescribe gabapentin. If it is nerve pain you should have relief. If doc dies not address your pain get a new doctor.
    • Posted

On gabepantin already on 600mg a day. What dose are u on? my Dr said I can go up. Not happy with Dr to be honest had this pain 2 weeks now it's been horrendous he hasent referred me for mri one Dr said it was muscle

• Posted

Hi again. I can’t understand Drs just putting patients on gabapentin when they don’t know the diagnosis. Terribly irresponsible. I’d insist on an MRI though honestly, I don’t think it’s sciatic nerve pain. Sciatic  nerve pain never radiates to your groin. 
  • Posted

By the way, is your calf red, swollen or painful to touch? If so, this could point to a blood clot. If not, could be knee or hip. Any buttock pain? Any incontinence? Ppl jump to conclusions that every leg pain around the calf or buttock is sciatic nerve pain when there are thousands of possible causes. I had terrible groin pain and lower back pain, turns out, a trauma I’d had 2.5 yrs before this, had caused my left hip to become unstable. 

I also have severe sciatic nerve damage. I have nerve pain, occasional urinary incontinence, poor co-ordination, loss of sensation etc etc. It turns out my anatomy was wrong (high division in my pelvis) and both portions were tethered to muscle after the same trauma. 1 surgery did a half job and missed the division and tethering of the 2nd portion of the nerve. 4.5 yrs later (Dec ‘17) they reopened and found the previous surgery I had, was a mess. It’s been fixed but now it’s so badly damaged, I’ve lost the main function of my leg. It just won’t work and I have horrendous spasms which mainly effect my foot and ankle. I urgently need ankle surgery but not until the spasms are fixed. I’m seeing a neurosurgeon for a second opinion in 2 weeks. I’m bed bound now because of the spasms and the fact I can no longer use my leg. :-(

If the dr thinks is a muscle issue, why did he put you on gabapentin? Gabapention will do nothing for localized muscle pain, hip, knee or blood clot issues. 

• Posted

Sorry, I should explain that my sciatic nerve injury and damage is at my hip level, as it runs down the back of my persons buttock and down the leg. It is usually one thick nerve that splits into two at the knee. Mine had split into two all the way up in my pelvis. Very rare and it’s causing me so many problems. On the up side, we now know why I didn’t get better after my original sciatic nerve surgery in my buttock. On the down side, a trauma 6 years has so badly damage the nerve, none of my Drs know where to start to treat the ongoing spasms and pain. Bed bound and 9.5 months in hospital. It’s horrid and I’m fed up. 

Please insist on a scan of your back to start if you don’t improve. If nothing there, if I were you, I’d ask for a pelvic scan for both hips. The reason for this is your groin pain. The calf pain could be compensating pain from the opposite hip. This is common in hip and knee pathologies. 

Best of luck and let us know what happens!! Melissa 😊

• Posted

My calf isn't red was swollen at one time that's gone down now. In so much pain and don't know why? Dr has finally agreed to do mri this is after I went private because pain was unbearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.