SCFE and also Scoliosis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In March of 2011 I went to get out of bed one day and felt a sharp pain in my left hip. Over the next two months I would feel this same pain everytime I got out of a chair, bed, ect. I also began to have knee pain and started walking with a limp. On April 5th, 2011, my 11th birthday, i went roller skating with a friend and i fell. At this point i felt an even sharper pain than i had over the previous 2 months. Over the next week I began to have trouble weight bearing. On the last day it was almost unbearable to walk. My mom rushed me to a childrens urgent care. They immediately took xrays and diagnosed me with SCFE. I was originally supposed to have 4 pins put in, but my surgeon decided right before surgery to use just 1 titanium pin. 3 months later i began having pains in my right hip. This time rushed right to urgent care. I had an xray done and MRI done the next day. They determined that I had sign of slipping and that they wanted to go ahead and pin it before it had a chance to slip. I was told my pains after surgery would go away completely within a year after. A year later I was having more pain than i was after the surgery. I began having major knee pain. I went for a follow-up with my surgeon and had xrays done of my knees. Both were fine. My doctor told me that the cause of my knee and hip pain was the fact that I have nearly flat feet. He sent me to physical therapy for 2 months which got rid of my knee pains. My hips still hurt, but not as bad as ot was before physical therapy. Over the last 5 years my hip pains have slowly built up and come back. I have not had an xray done or seen my surgeon since my last follow-up before physical therapy in March of 2012. Over the past 5 months I have suspected that I may have scoliosis. My hips appear to be on two different levels which i assume would be caused from a curve in the spine. I also have been expiriencing a lot of back/neck pain and noticable hunch in my neck. Ever since I've notcied these things, my hip pains have increased. The other night i went to sit up in bed and felt a sharp almost "click" pain. I immediately froze in pain and was unable to move my leg. My boyfriend layed me on my back and put pressure on my hip and pushed. When he pushed i felt that "click" again as if something had come out of place and he was pushing it back in. Immediately after the pain went away. It was a very different type of hip pain though. I have never expirienced that specific pain. Im curious to know if SCFE and scoliosis are linked and if its a possibilty that this could be my issue. I turn 17 this following Wednesday and have had my pins for 6 years. Am i just being paranoid and linking unrelated things and its just normal for SCFE patients to have hip pain and discomfort this young or if i really do have scoliosis or some other condition that is cuasing my hips to worsen. I would love for anyone that has SCFE aswell as scoliosis or have a similar situation/symptoms to share your stories with me. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Sydney!

I had SCFE surgery on my left hip when I was about to turn 12(2002) I got the pins taken out a couple of years later and just this past December I had a Total Hip Replacement, I'm 26.

I dealt with pain all throughout those 14 years. I developed avascular necrosis in my bone which caused it to deteriorate. I got married and had a baby in the last 2 years and the pain was getting increasingly worse. My leg lengths were about an inch off(my left was shorter) and I went to the physical therapist in 2013 and he told me that I had developed scoliosis because of the discrepancy in the length. 

I struggled through high school with the limp and also because of my lack of range of motion. Now that I am almost a year out from the hip replacement, things are getting back to normal. I don't have any of the pain i was experiencing before and I have been able to workout and do exercises that I couldn't before. I think my scoliosis is correcting itself but I haven't been to a PT in a while to see. 

My advice to you would be to see the chiropractor, stay thin and active(within reason. don't do any crazy exercises that could cause you more pain) and see a doctor every couple of years. 

I struggled with deciding if getting a replacement was for me or not because I was so young. But I knew my situation was not getting any better and I had a little one to take care of so I knew I had to do something. 

Hopefully you wont have to make that decision anytime soon. Do preventative maintenance to try and avoid your body getting too out of wack. Your good side will over compensate, though. That is why you have scoliosis. Watch your posture, do a lot of stretches and see the chiropractor! 

Good luck! xoxox

• Posted

Hi Kirbymarie,

I have been looking for someone who had s.c.f.e and A.v.n for a while now, and finally have found someone. I'm on the younger side. I first had s.c.f.e when I was 11 and now have had Avn for 4-5 years. Luckily I have a high pain tolerance but it does hurt sometimes. I had to get a hip replacement too. My Drs want to wait as long as they can but I want to get it done as early as possible so I am able to do things I want (horseback riding for example). What is your view point on it? I am only 15 so have time to think about it.

I like being able to talk to someone who actually understands my issues, the closests I've come to someone understanding is my friend who has arthritis in her heals.

Thanks - Ava

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.