Scheduled FLA for Jan 2023

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just starting to document my journey here to give back to the tribe. There was a dearth of posts here about FLA (focal laser ablation). I suspect because it's $23,000 that insurance doesn't cover (plus travel & other expenses).

Short history:

First attempt to treat was a PAE that failed due to equipment malfunction. I didn't get enough versed or morpheine, was on table catheterized for over 4 hours. One of which was when equipment malfunctioned and radiologist was on phone w/tech support for over and hour. Eventually they realized it wasn't something could be fixed in real time so catheter was withdrawn without ever injecting beads. Post procedure pain when urinating was a 12 out of 10 for about 24 hours then got better. After this PTSD inducing barbarism I now have a tremendous fear and anxiety about being catheterized.

Scheduled another PAE with a different interventional radiologist. He agreed to do the procedure without catheterizing me. (yeah). Procedure went fairly smoothly but due to size of vessels could only embolize artery on one side of the prostate. I believe my prostate size went from 75 to 25, but got no relief from symptoms.

After reading many posts here have decided to give FLA a go. Am scared and have lots of anxiety. There just weren't enough glowing reviews of the procedure. Actually only remember reading two on here, one of which required a redo and left the patient with RE. The RN mentioned during a conversation that PAE usually doesn't have great results for median lobe.

One of the motivators for getting it scheduled asap is I'm caretaker for my wife who has Early Onset Alzheimer's. At present she's still pretty functional, but her decline is unrelenting and I can't imaging trying to get prostate straightened out and deal with her if she declines much more.

I don't have a urologist. The ones I've seen and consulted with in Salt Lake County were just awful. One was a shill for urolift, the other booked an initial consult with his PA. It felt like the PA's job was to guide patients to schedule green laser. He couldn't answer many questions I had and almost ran out of the exam room to get out of the situation.

As a result I've scheduled 10 days in hotel in Houston and am hoping Dr. Karamanian's group can handle anything post procedure till catheter is removed.

I am worried when reading the following from the catheter removal instructions:

4. Gently remove the Foley catheter (like a piece of cooked spaghetti) and urinate. This will be your best urination of the day, it will get worse over the next 12-24 hours.

What are the chances of having to go to the ER for acute urinary retention after having had the cath for 7 days and then removing it?

How long after procedure till you can pee normally?

How long after procedure till you know if you can pee better?

I expect these and other questions will be answered during pre-op visit.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

There were discussions about FLA a couple years ago on this site. Some people had good success with it. It is done inside an MRI so they have good accuracy with positioning the laser, since they can see exactly where they are. One person, named Jay, from Austria had the procedure done and flew back to Austria the next day. He had a very large media lobe (Ball Valve) protruding quite far into the bladder, He posted an MRI picture of it. He had very good success from it with no Retrograde Ejaculation (RE), no Erectile Dysfunction (ED), and no incontinence.

I communicated with another doctor, Eric Walser, from that area of Texas who also does FLA. About two years ago he said that Medicare and insurance may be paying some part of it.

• Edited

Hi, i talked to the guys in houston and i think once the cath is removed you should be able to pee normally. expect that to be 7 to 10 days. you might want to have a back up plan in case it takes longer, which was not ruled out.

surprised with that much PAE shrinkage you got no relief. it's funny that all the IR docs I've consulted with say it does work with median lobes often. did you have the standard 2 weeks of post-PAE syndrome (burning, pain in abdomen or groin, etc). can you describe that?

Also, did your insurance cover the PAE? Which one if it did if I may ask since I'm having problems with blue cross covering that.

• Posted

cali-mike, Insurance paid for both PAE's. The chutzpah of the first guy charging for the failed one was beyond the pale. Apparently insurance companies p**s away money like the govt, unless it's something that benefits you (like FLA). The 2nd (successful) PAE left me with virtually NO post procedure syndromes. I suspect because I wasn't catheterized there was no burning or anything. I did sweat having the aterial plug in place. I think it took a couple months before it was fully dissolved/absorbed, but there were no problems. Oh, my insurance at the time was United Healthcare.

• Posted

1. Gently remove the Foley catheter (like a piece of cooked spaghetti) and urinate. This will be your best urination of the day, it will get worse over the next 12-24 hours.

I smiled when I read this since it was written on the limited "outpatient" paperwork that I received after my TURPs. In a urologist's mind, removing a Foley (in the shower, that's the best place, with warm water running to distract) is the easiest thing to do. For a patient who is not comfortable dealing with the internals of his own body after surgery, it's a bit of a challenge, or it was for me.

What are the chances of having to go to the ER for acute urinary retention after having had the cath for 7 days and then removing it?

I'd say it's most common for patients to remove the Foley and start peeing right away. Wasn't true for me after the first 2 TURPs so I had to run to the ER or the doctor's office to get another Foley after retention was noted. I wish they would have equipped me with set of catheters so at least I could resolve the issue at home.

• Edited

This is my update after procedure on 1-10-2023.

I’m jotting down thoughts as they occur so this may not flow as coherently as I’d like.

First answers to my following questions during pre-op visit:

1 – How long after procedure till you can pee normally?

Dr. Fallon told me around the 2 month mark, but full recovery is 3-6 months!

2 – How long after procedure till you know if you can pee better?

If procedure enable this (an there’s no guarantee) this would be the 3-6 month mark

Both Dr. Karamanian and Dr. Fallon were present during procedure. Dr. Harman was the hands-on for me.

Dr. K authorized a little versed and 25mg? of fentanyl PRIOR to catheter insertion. This is something which should become standard operating procedure in my book.

You are pretty well sedated for procedure however I did rouse a bit and felt one burn cycle. They immediately pushed a little more fentanyl and that took care of any discomfort.

Went back to hotel after procedure and slept 4-6 hrs.

I don’t know how it is for others, but having a catheter in place is for me about the closest experience to unrelenting torture I have ever experienced. I stayed at the hotel 10 days suffering though this. It was awful. At this point, if I knew now about this I might have opted for a different procedure which had faster recovery & less time with post procedure catheter.

The fact that there is not a team comprised of BOTH a top knotch urologist and interventional radiologist is one of the sad facts of medicine in the US. Every specialty is pigeonholed and protective of their own turf. The focal laser ablation radiologists need to work hand in hand with a urologist to find a workaround for needing to have a catheter in place for 10-14 days post procedure.

My feedback on the doctors is not so glowing. They may be skilled at the procedures they do, but they do not make you feel compassion or care. Basically it felt like you paid do the FLA then are kicked out the door with post-op printed instructions. I guess I was expecting more of a concierge medicine experience given the large cash amount which was prepaid. ($23k in my case)

Hotels

There two recommended. We chose the Marriott Courtyard since it was closest to the imaging center where the procedure was done. We were there for 13 days as I wanted to stay close enough to deal with any adversities which might arise. If you do this, there is a Residence Inn right next door to the Courtyard in (both are Marriott). I would recommend doing that so you have a kitchen. There are two grocery stores within walking distance and a load of restaurants too. Walking with a catheter sucks (a lot), but I felt mild exercise of walking a bit would be healthier than just laying in bed.

Procedure was on a Tuesday, the following Friday I removed the catheter in the shower myself. It was painful but manageable and I was so happy to get the instrument of my ongoing torment removed.

It is now very hard to pee and the stream is much weaker than prior to the procedure. Small clots come with most times I pee. I view this as good. In my mind this is getting junk out which might be progress toward easier peeing/evacuation.

When you think about the massive amount of trauma inflicting to burn away so much tissue inside the prostate and how long it takes to heal burns in general, it’s no wonder recovery from this procedure takes so long.

I am biding my time hoping I’ll slowly start to see improvement. I’m waiting another week or so before rubbing one out to find out if retrograde ejaculation was avoided. I’ll report back with results.

The future will either bring happiness (if things get better), or disappointment and the need to seek out yet a 3rd procedure. (so far I’ve had a PAE which did nothing to help the LUTS and now the FLA.)

Given the knowledge which is available to doctors I don’t understand why all the alternative procedures are not done with ejaculation preservation techniques.

So the long and short of it is focal laser ablation may be one of the better procedures available if you are trying to avoid impacting your sex life. But it is a long hard road to endure.

I solicit your comments and questions.

Cheers.

• Edited

Thought I'd try to add a weekly update. It's now 8 days after catheter removal.

Urethritis / burning when peeing seemed to slowly increase. Called Dr K this morning and he advised getting something called AZO which is over the counter. He expected things to get better within about a week, but said every patient is different. It's still pretty difficult to pee. Feels very restricted. Still getting a smattering of miniscule clots when I pee. I take this as a good sign.

Preliminary test indicates no retrograde ejaculation.

Fingers crossed for the future.

• Edited

This is one week from last post.

Pretty much a week from hell. Still have extreme burning on urination and strong pain in penis for about 5 minutes or more afterwards. In other words, AZO didn't do squat to alleviate this. I called the office and Donnie (rn) returned my call. My initial lab results showed no infection so I'm wondering "Why so much pain so long after catheter removal"?

Donnie spoke with one of the drs. and they prescribed something call "uribel" on Friday (it's Sunday today) which was supposed to work better than AZO.

I've now been taking it for 2 days and maybe it's 5-10% better than with AZO. (or it could be getting just a wee bit better due to time)

Stream still sucks, way worse than before procedure, but I was told it would take 2 months till I was back to ground 0 and improvement would start after that.

I'm still hopeful this was the right decision.

You do need to understand that going in and burning/ablation killing so much tissue is going to take time to heal. It seems like (from my reading on this site) recovery from most of the trans-urethral procedures is WAY faster.

• Posted

2-7-2023 Update:

It appears I DO have an infection. Urine test was negative, but when they cultured it, it came back positive. So I will be on bactrim for the next month. Hopefully burning symptom will disappear within the next 48 hrs. I should have complained earlier. I'm also thinking they should do routine labwork for this within a day (or few) after catheter removal.

• Edited

Good luck Alberto, it sounds like you are going through a tough time. We're rooting for you and I will certainly add you to any prayers.

Are you still in Houston? Did you manage to get out in the 10 days as expected?

• Posted

cali-mike, I was only in houston for 10-11 days post procedure so 1-I'd be close to docs if anything needed attention, and 2-I wasn't keen to fly with all that entails, wearing a catheter & bag.

I will say the 10 days with catheter post procedure really sucked. It's unfortunate the procedure can't be amended to lavage and suction out the ablated/burned prostate tissue as in my mind this might mean the catheter could be removed immediately after the procedure. Again this goes back to my earlier statement that a team comprised of both urologists & interventional radiologist are needed to develop the best treatment for prostate issues.

• Edited

Antibiotic seems to have knocked down pain/irritation about 90%. Flow has not yet started to improve. According to docs this should start happening in another 3-4 weeks. Not enjoying an entire month of antibiotics as it's interfering with my social drinking. I stopped taking the alfuzosin and uribel a couple/few days ago. Am enjoying having my bp back closer to "normal" for me 110-120/70-80. Having wave of dizzeness when standing abruptly is no longer a thing. Also, now that I'm not in discomfort am more optimistic about the whole process/event/procedure. Still hoping final result will be a noticible improvement in flow, as well as less trips to john when sleeping.

• Posted

My final thoughts 3 months & 10 days post procedure is that FLA was pretty much a complete bust for me. I'd say if there was any improvement it was at most 5%. Sort of sucks to blow $25k .

• Posted

wow, that sucks. thanks for letting people on the forum know. that's a lot of dough to not have a near guaranteed outcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.