Scheduled for bunionplasty

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!  I am scheduled to have a bunionplasty procedure done on my first foot next week.  Two weeks after, I will have the second foot done.  I'm super nervous!  I have a mild bunion on both feet.  I have no idea what to expect.  Does anyone have any experience with this procedure? 

Thank you!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hahaha after 3 weeks I wanted to burn mine!! They're now sitting upstairs and I'm not sure what to do with them! I am wearing trainers with the insole out and have one pair of camper boots I can fit into. I'm bandaged for another 3 weeks (6 weeks total) as there is now a gap between my first and second toes, and they need to coax the second, third, 4th toes to mve across to my newly straight first toe!!

• Posted

Haha!  They certainly are not a pretty sight.  That's great that you are now in trainers!  I never thought to take the insole out once I transition.  I will keep that in mind.  There's something beautiful (surgical shoe or not) about looking down and seeing a straight first  toe smile

• Posted

I think the right doctor is key. I had Dr. Paul Ross in Bethesda MD. He was great. I felt minimal pain. I was very organized about how I iced my foot. For the first 3 days I iced EVERY 1 hour for 30 minutes and elevated it. 

Sometimes I would feel stabbing pains in my foot, but the medication they gave me really helped. Also regular tylenol helps with the swelling. 

The doctor said most of the pain comes from inflamation, so icing is so important! 

I was also scared, but I had a 28 degree angle on my toe (regular is 10). It was really bad. I could even wear tennis shoes anymore. My foot would give out and I wouldn't be able to walk. So I had to have the procedure done.

My advice is ice and a good doctor. 

• Posted

You were REALLY on top of things, Laurelle!  That's great.  How long did it take for your swelling to subside? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.