schizoaffective disorder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I noticed this website last night after having a very stressful experience with my son who siffers with psychosis. I have been reading some very interesting blogs from people about alternative medicine. Breifley my son was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder 3 years ago and was put on a depo injection of clopixol 300 mg every 2 weeks. Its been an awful journey for my son who is now 23 . He was a semi pro footballer extremely fit, never smoked , limited alcohol. He took some drugs when out with friends and had a breakdown. After spending 3 months in hospital being treated with various different medications to stabilise him they decided to give him the dreaded depo. For 3 years ge was like a zombie eating sleeping smoking putting on weight being quite vulnerable just not my son different person. Last june Michael decided to stop all meds no more he said. He has been so well back in the gym playing footy making friends working finally my son is back. Then to my horrer he relapsed this week terrible anxiety agitation racing thoughts all the dreaded symptoms . So now he has been put on a low dose of olanzapine, loresapam and another pill at nite to sleep which isnt helping that much. I just dont understand how he has coped so long without meds and now this has happened. We are trying to decide which is tge best way forward without going back on a depo. Any thoughts and advise will be so helpfull to hear .

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OMG, so sorry for your difficulties. Seems like they key is to get his health back through holistic and alternative means. But you've got to control the symptoms while doing this, and the meds all cause side effects. I'd get together a good team if alternative practitioners and give them a try for two years or so. See if you can wean him off the psyche drugs while resetting his brain with holistic treatments.
  • Posted

A balanced life.  An interest in psychology would be of help to him and a low dose of a atypical anti-psychotic medication worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.