Schizoaffective disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm Michael I was diagnosed 7 years ago with schizoaffective disorder after a severe breakdown. I have been on various medications, but just seem to think they all make me feel the same once kicked in. Sluggish increased appetite low mood life not worth living disturbing thoughts ect. The worst thing about it is, I'm on the medications to start with as I become hyper and psychotic. So the medications keep me stable which professionals say is a must. But as I said, I get all the above side affects. Does anyone have any more info on this please feel free to let me know always looking for more insight. Also interested in how others cope with mental health in general or similar diagnosis. It's been a sad few years for me. As before all this used to be very fit play football enjoy life ect.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I do not have schizophrenia so can't help with that sorry. I can only think that they are not the right medication and keep trying till you find the right one? I am yet to meet or talk to anyone has had a severe breakdown. It says if a breakdown lasts longer than two weeks it's because of a serious underlying problem either bipolar, schizophrenia or anxiety disorder. Mine is the anxiety disorder. I'm on my nearly 3rd year from my breakdown. Are you still having the setbacks from it? It completely turns your life upside down doesn't it? But has all so opened my eyes to see the world in a different place. How horrific was your breakdown I can't believe that my body was possible to go through that did you get the adrenaline rushes up and down your body intense feeling of being so scared of life my legs would not move out of bed for 6 months and didn't get out of bed for a year.

• Posted

Hi Michael

I have schzioaffective disorder too. I am on aripiprazole and find it a better drug than the risperdone I was on before. I have been back at work for two years and am doing great. The drugs do make me sluggish, but it's better than being ill. Maybe you need to change your antipsychotics.

Lou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.