schizophrenic since past 5 years

Posted , 7 users are following.

My mother has been a patient of Schizophrenia for the past 5 years, She has been undertaking meds for this since it started in 2012, but we came back to India (where we are from) and all the meds changed to new ones(but working). She has been normal but the voices and fear of death has constantly come back and she suffers internally mostly telling us not to go outside as 'they' will kill us(we don't know who and she never tels us). Even though while taking medication she recently had her 4th episode after being normal for about 9-10 months. What to do, i am her son and i love her very much. We have seen more than 3-4 doctors and they all suggest the same type medication, but even then the fear and her episodes come back. Please help suggestions!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ash

You know we are in the UK and the Indian Health Service is different to ours.

The only person who can help you is your Family Doctor  You say they have suggested the same type of medication, is the problem your Mother was taking something different here and they are trying to change the treatment plan.

Lithium seems to be the most used medication, I cannot imagine what they are suggesting for your Mam at this time.

You are in a place where you have been advised on the Pathway to take in India all I can suggest is work with your Doctor, He is in partnership with your Mother in Her Mental Health problems

• Posted

You are very much correct about the difference between the UK and India. We are working with the doctor here and everything seems fine until the episodes come back. Schizophrenia, i believe is a work of titration of medicines, where the doctor has to monitor on a regular basis. So hopefully that would change things. Thankyou for your suggestion.! 
  • Posted

If too am a schizophrenic. If too have delusions maybe you mother doesn't know who' they' are. Another poster suggested lithium but in my experience lithium is given for bi polar not schizophrenia. What meds have theyrecommended. Is it clozapine ?as that's the one they use if others have failed. I take paliperidone which is a monthly depot injection. I wish you all the best as this illness is hard on loved ones. If wish your mum the very best too

• Posted

Thankyou Chrissy, The medication is called Sizodone (Risperidone 0.5 mg) Don't think it contains any lithium, according to the doctors it is schizophrenia and not bipolar, but she is always dull and scared for others especially. I am currently staying in India and i don't think Clozapine is available here but i guess both are for schizophrenia. I hope you feel better each day and thankyou again! 

• Posted

You're very welcome. Paliperidone is riser done in an injection. O.5 seems a small amount of medication. Have suggested increasing the medicàtion?

• Posted

Yes we have increased the medication from 0.5 to 1mg and she is doing much better now. Still monitoring though. 
  • Posted

Hi Ash. I have paranoid schizophrenia and vaiour other mental health issues. I've never heard of lithium being used for schiz, only bipolar. Many of my Bipolar friends are on this.

Antipsychotics are used to treat schiz, and I've tried many. I've ended up on clozapine which hasnt completely removed my symptoms, but it has helped considerably and I've be able to go back to my job smile

Could you speak with your mothers doctor about increasing her dose of risperidone? As it can be increaded a lot from what she is currently taking. I'm not medical at all, I just have knowledge from my experience with this med.

There are so many antipsychotics available, please dont give up trying to find what helps her best. Good luck!

• Posted

Hey Inmate, I guess you are correct about the small dosage of 0.5mg, According to the another doc we met, he told us that the dosage has to be increased, so we are pursuing that currently. The main reason is that she has developed a side effect since past one year where her tongue is involuntarily touching one side of her mouth against the teeth (apparently it's called lingual dystonia), she is taking meds for that as well (Clonazepam 4mg daily dosage). She is much better now but still we are monitoring closely. Thankyou again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.