School

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have looked at a few threads and realized i dont have that big of a problem and it is a stupid problem but i just need somebody to hear me out and give some advice. I have done really well in highschool so far... but theres a catch. i havent given it any effort ever rolleyes. i keep a 3.75 average gpa and was recently asked to join NHS but i feel really bad because there are people who work hard for a status like this and i havent given school a thought since 5th grade when i used to go to private school. highschool is no longeer a challenge and i get way to boered. in fact the reason i am writing this message is because i skipped today!!! I dont really care im not missing anything and if i am i can easily make it back up. but i have no motivation to work hard. nexxt year i am taking 3 ap classes instead of the 1 because it is to easy right now. i dont know what has gotten into mei would never skip school but i just did today because i was boered. any good advice, i know this probably doesnt even make sense from yuor view of things but anything will help. thank you for your time.   smile

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

and is hould add that a while ago though its a bit hard to admit i was addicted to video games as so many teens are and have recently stoped gaming so much and thats when most of these feelings started. and it has been hard to find joy in most things other than bieng on my robotics team.(there is a lot of required work and it helps me keep my mind busy, i may be a work-o-holic its fun to be overwhelmed with work and get it all done in an inhumane amount of time and wear myself out having fun with friends building a robot)(The program i am a part of is called FRC robotics if you would like to do research)
  • Posted

Bryan

Snap out of it.

It may all be easy for you, although many will be finding everything very hard.

If you wish to be trained up in the NHS you will need to work hard and the Science subjects can be very hard and you will be expected to learn and prove you have the bottle to do the work. Even if you have a nice overinflated IQ you will need to work hard and show you can do the work in a thankless Organisation.

It is expensive to train medical staff, you will need to knuckle in and prove yourself

• Posted

I dont think his NHS is the same as our National Health Service. We dont generally get offered to join the NHS. Poss from USA, guessing by the GPA comment?
    • Posted

In U.S. NHS means National Honor Society. From wiki: The National Honor Society (NHS) is a nationwide organization in the United States, and outlying territories, which may consist of many chapters in high schools. Selection may be based on four criteria: scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
  • Posted

Hi. I am guessing that you are in the US? Not sure what GPA means and whether 3.75 is good or bad? NHS?

I am not really sure what the point of your post is? Can you not speak to your parents? Or maybe a teacher at School?

It is important to get a good education and good grades as these are key to going on to Uni or getting a job. Do you have any careers guidance?

If you are bored and not finding your chosen subjects interesting, could you switch?

Maybe consider a part time job or volunteering role to help find a sense of purpose?

But honestly, I would recommend talking to your parents or a family member.

• Posted

It's good to see how excited you are about robotics. You can challenge yourself by taking honors courses and college credits. A counselor can help you find more robotic like courses

• Posted

Hi Bryan, Well done for cutting down on the video games! That is really hard to do. There have been studies showing that playing video games a lot (2+ hours a day) alters your brain chemistry. It also produces adrenaline and gives you a lot of instant feedback and gratification - school work doesn't, and is therefore unable to compete. What you're experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from an addiction. So it is not a case of 'snapping out of it'.

It sounds as though you need a challenge, or challenges, to replace those given by gaming. The suggestion given to speak to your parents and teachers to see if they can provide extra challenges is a good one. Also good is the suggestion that you try voluntary work etc to provide a focus and different feel-good feelings. Taking up a sport(s) would also be good as you could get challenges from it, but it would also release the feel good chemicals to help you combat the withdrawal symptoms you're getting from being addicted to gaming. It doesn't have to be conventional sports, try something new that appeals to you. Fencing? Archery? Water polo? life saving? Just look down the list of activities that are easily available to you), and pick one to have a go at. It will take practise and willpower to persevere past the 'I'm rubbish at this' stage, so this could be another way to healthily challenge yourself.

Also try Pilates - it is a gentle form of exercise, but one has to focus to do the exercises properly and get the maximum benefit to your muscles and joints, and this helps your brain to learn it gets benefit from things other than gaming. Search around for someone that teaches Pilates in a way you 'click with'.

Do keep up with the robotics, maybe this could end up being the career that gives you the challenges and rewards you crave.

Skipping school is not good - it will result in you not being able to get a job that gives you the challenges and financial reward you will need to live in the future (when you are responsible for providing for yourself). I found that by working hard at school & college, I have been able to have really interesting work/jobs (that have the benefit of being well paid! - because not many people can do them), and more options open to me than people that didn't do so well at school (or skipped school), who are now in low paid jobs having to spend all their time working just to get enough money to live.

It sounds that, like me, you may have a brain that easily becomes addicted to things, so beware of alcohol and steer completely clear of drugs.

Also it sounds like you may need to learn techniques to enable you to achieve a balance so that you don't need the constant adrenaline rush/challenge from always trying to meet ridiculous deadlines (e.g. ones self-created by skipping school and having to catch up).

There are lots of problems in the world that need the intellect, ability to focus, drive and dedication that your message suggests you are capable of - investigating causes of disease, developing new drugs, making scientific discoveries etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that other people would love to be in your position of being so clever that schoolwork is easy (and this can result in you getting negative responses to your appeals for help) however, as you have found, it comes with its own problems of how to harness your ability to get the benefit from it.

Do speak to your parents/school/ a counsellor (again search for one that is right for you) to help you get the challenges and support you need to focus your abilities in healthy directions that will be rewarding (both mentally and financially) in the future.

• Posted

Just a thought, I don't know about gpa as we use a different system in the UK, however from your post it sounds like you are doing well, but think you could do better. To give you something to think about, in UK some schools select their pupils by achievement on 'selection tests'. They they select the brightest pupils e.g. the top 10% of the population. At school, these pupils then look at where they are in the class and if they are at the bottom, they try harder. However, if they were in a non-selectove school, the same pupils would be at the top of the class and would probably be in the position you are in: bored and coasting along, not trying, and more importantly, not meeting their potential. So instead of comparing yourself to others, or the average, compare yourself with what you know you are capable of - but bear in mind that this has to be achieved without 'burning yourself out' - you have got to be able to sustain this performance over the long term. Think of sprinters versus marathon runners. School/life is a marathon and to survive long-term you need to balance achievement, with effect on your body, so you don't burn out and do survive in the long term.

• Posted

well you arfe pretty spot on, iwouldnt go as far to say i was really addicted to video games as some teens are but i did get my fair share of tooooo much. your advice helps i do swim team as well as robotics and you are pretty correct on most things i just couldnt fugure out what exactally was wrong and you showed me that its adrenaline/reward work  that really gets me going. its nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about.( btw our grade system is 4.00 all A's 3.5 B's 3.0 C's. i think never had to worry about grades) and i must say damn, the last 4 paragraphs of the first post are damn spot on i didnt even recognize them myself. thank you kindly

• Posted

Do join the NHS (national honor society) as it might be the challenge and focus you need to replace gaming. Personally I found the only way to combat my addiction to gaming, was to go 'cold turkey' and stop altogether. Whilst i was gaming, even a little bit, it was hard to combat the adrenaline rushes and challenges it was giving me.

• Posted

good to  know stopping right now. smile glad to know other people have gone through it too.

• Posted

I also developed a muscular skeletal problem (from always bending over a desk/computer/phone) so watch out for this. Look up 'functional neck forward syndrome' and beware of sitting so your back makes a 'C' shape (I.e. with your stomach concave so that your shoulders are hunched forwards).

See link in next message.

This is why I'm now such a fan of Pilates.

• Posted

The research article in the link is titled

'Musculoskeletal Diseases of Upper Extremities Among the Electronic Assembly Workers and Telecommunication Workers'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.