Sciatic pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

A recent MRI scan has identified a bulge in my lower two vertebrae which my doctor has told me, over the phone, explains the pain in my buttock and leg. I'm seeing him on Wednesday to discuss in full but I'm concerned that I have no pain in my thigh and the calf pain is not at the back of my muscle but to the side--can this still be a sciatic nerve problem?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Outside
    • Posted

That`s where mine is. Sometimes its in my thigh sometimes it isn`t.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply---that's exactly like mine. Has your Dr confirmed it is a sciatica pain?

• Posted

Had an MRI so have a herniated disc at L4 also confuse things by having L5 pathway pain. Everyone is different they were convinced it would be L5. I even have it effecting my other hip and leg at times which is reffered to as transferred pain. Also I believe the nerve its self has many branches just where it is trapped or irritated.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply--it's all very complicated isn't it!

• Posted

Definitely nerves mines also goes down the from of my thigh but I was told the front is to do with l4/l5 normally the siatic nerve is l5/s1 every one is different statics and science may give u the answer but because we are all different it can effect us in different ways . Wait to see what info yr doc says
    • Posted

Thanks Jessica--as you say, we are all different. I'll learn more about my problem when I see my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll be able to understand the MRI scan, as I was given a copy when it was done and it means nothing to me!!

• Posted

It baffles me why they give the patient a copy before explain it to them . Crazy, good luck
  • Posted

Hi don,

because nerves which control our total body are controoled from various areas of the spine, it causes pains in different parts of the body.

I had bulging disc in t10-11(middle back) and my pain was thighs and numb right toe- due to nerve compression caused by bulging disc controlling these nerves.

I have since had operation and while these nerve are permenately damaged (still burning sensation in thighs and numbness in toe) my mobility is fantastic but I have forced to keep myself fit and not on any medication.

Sounds like you have nerve compression in lower parts affecting the sensations in your lower legs.

• Posted

Yes, my recent MRI scan shows bulging in my lower back but I thought the subsequent pain would run down the back of my thigh and calf but I only have pain in the side of my calf and buttock. Strange. Thanks for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.