Sciatic pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have back issues, actually my whole spine is bad. Right now my lumbar spine is the problem I have bone on bone l5-s1 and the others are bulging. I have had severe sciatic pain since October it is unbearable at times. Lately it has been waking me up with searing pain and I stretch and use the heating pad and take ibuprofen. I'm due for an injection soon but I can't take it anymore I want to get relief now but I was told not to go to the er because they wont help. Has anyone gone to er and got relief. Just checking. Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your sciatic pain. Its horrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It's been a year since I've gotten over my excruciating pain. I had an L4 & L5 6mm disc buldges. At first my pain was unbearable that I did goto the ER. All they did was give me 600mg of Tylenol and a 1 week steroid pack prescription and sent me home. It dulled the pain so I could rest atleast. It was only a bandaid though. Ultimately, I saw a chiropractor, did PT to strengthen necessary muscles, and Acupuncture for pain. I wish you the best Lisa.

• Posted

Hi Mario, thank you for responding. I'm afraid of chiropractors and I will start pt soon so I just have to grin and bare it till things get moving. I actually slept better last night. Ibuprofen does help but my stomach doesn't like it. I also have been taking oxycodone, baclofen and gabapentin for years. I just wanted to go to er and get some stronger stuff to get some relief at least for a little bit you know. But thank you.

• Posted

I've had the same thing. Here's my story on sciatica...

Sciatica

If the source of the problem is really the lumbar spine and not hip alignment or locked SI joints (easy chiropractic fix), then, for me at least, the only solution was surgical. As described in the link, a decompressive laminectomy of L4 through S1 was the fix. Immediate relief by removing the bone spur and shaving back the bulging calcified disk. The rest of the inflammatory pain was gone in a week.

However, I also had a case of foraminal stenosis at L2/L3 a few years later. This is like having sciatica down BOTH legs with extreme weakness. The space between the vertebrate gets so small that it pinches off the nerve roots coming through the foraminal canals. The solution is a fusion with a spacer to separate the vertebrae to a normal spacing.

The op is called an XLIF (or LLIF or OLIF)...Extreme Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion. They open you from the side, not the back, and insert a device that acts like a car jack. Insert, expand, back fill with bone to start the fusion, secure with screws and close. THIS IS A MIRACLE OP!!!!! Immediate relief of ALL pain when you wake up, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Just the device...not rails and big screws like a typical TLIF fusion.

If you need this, do the research and find a doc who's experienced in the op. Search YouTube for "Globus TLIF Procedure" and then "Globus ELSA" for more on the device. They can do this for one or two levels in the same op and add rails for stabilization if necessary (second video). I've had a major TLIF from L3 through S1 (12 days hospital, 4 months rehab, six months brace). Believe me...the XLIF/TLIF is really the way to go.

But...I may be getting ahead of myself. If the problem is just sciatica at L4-S1, then the laminectomy is a quick, same-day fix that works GREAT!!! Here's what the XLIF looks like...you can see the rails from my TLIF just below it. Seems that playing hockey for 45 years takes its toll... Have fun...

• Posted

Lisa, I can understand why you would be afraid those bone cracking chiropractors. When looking for one, you need to ask if they know how to treat sciatica. These chiros know how to manipulate buldged discs by muscle pressure to help them go back in. No bone cracking. Chiro and PT go hand in hand. Hope your doing better Lisa.

• Posted

When you read my link on sciatica, you'll see that I always start with chiropractic. Except for the occasion when it was caused by a bone spur at L4, chiro ALWAYS fixed my sciatica...and playing hockey for 45 years gave me tons of times I needed the fix. Tilted pelvis, hip misalignment, locked SI joints and more could be the cause. It's only when chiro doesn't work, that I call my neurosurgeon. Sometimes it's PT or pain shots to get relief but you always have to find the root cause and fix it.

After I had my left knee replaced, I got a bad case of sciatica 5 weeks later because I was walking with a limp and threw my hips out. I searched for a chiropractor in my area who had a tom of experience with people who have a lot of metal in them. For me, that's the right hip plus two spine fusions. My chiro fit the bill perfectly, avoids all the metal and adjusts me gently and carefully. After the TKR, I saw her twice a week for three weeks and the pain subsided gradually. A few regular visits afterward made sure that the alignment held.

You have to be your own best health advocate. Call some chiros and ask all the right questions. Then go see the one that checks off all your boxes. You can always try another until you find one you can go to any time you need them. It really does work without drugs and/or surgery...if the cause is correctable by chiropractic.

PS: Do NOT have some doc throw gabapentin or lyrica at you. They just mask the pain and have some bad side effects. Find the cause and fix it. Start with chiro and work your way up, if necessary. Good luck...

• Posted

Sounds like you've been through the ringer Chico.

• Posted

35 general anesthesia surgeries in the past 19 years. Yes, many were minor like seven trigger fingers, carpal tunnel, a kidney stone removal, etc. but 45 years of hockey took its toll. Four knee scopes, replaced hip, knee replacement and four spine ops (two fusions). I'm set for #5 (third fusion) on January 22nd. That will make a total of FIVE pounds of metal in me. Yeah...tough, but you know hockey players...you bleed and get right back on the ice. Tradition...well, maybe a touch of stupidity too.

The big thing is that everything I've had go bad was able to be fixed. I NEVER live in pain. Find the cause and fix it...NOW!!! I'm walking great and still working full time as a Sr. IT Process Architect...49th year in IT. Never retire...love it too much. Plus I'm a semi-pro blues bassist and vocalist. Love the stage. Started on drums and guitar at age 11 in 1959. I'll never stop gigging. Gotta stay active. Pain is just a state of mind. Replace it with good thoughts...

• Posted

Wow! yes it does sound like you have been through a lot. But your good now and that is inspiring.

I was told by my neurosurgeon that I need fusion surgery but I really want to wait and see if pt can help and. an injection. Thank you Mario and Chico for the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.