Sciatic pain or nerve regeneration pain??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody has answers based on experience. I've been battling sciatica do to L3 L5 5mm disc bulges for a little over four months now. I get my sciatic shocks on my outer right knee. I'm down to 1-3 shocks a day. Some days are good and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but there are other days that aren't so good. My shocks last for one second and a powerful. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor and a physical therapist. For pain, I could only take natural supplements because I only have 1 kidney and cannot take over the counter medication. For some reason lately, I've been getting mild- medium shocks that linger for about 5 Seconds. I do have to remember to breathe during these episodes because it can't take my breath away. Does anyone know if this could be possible nerve regeneration or just part of sciatica?

I would love some help and answers if anyone knows.

Appreciative,

Mario Macias

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mario

This is a great question and because you are unable to tolerate painkillers you are able to accurately describe your symptoms.

I also had these shocks down my legs after spinal fusion surgery. For me, I was given Lyrica to control the pain. It felt more like a moderate uncomfortable current going through my legs rather than a bolt or shock. Like you, I wasnt sure if due to healing or deteriorating but then my neurosurgeon didnt know either. You dont say whether you've had surgery or if just been diagnosed with bulging discs. Why do you think its healing? Have you had any other treatment eg physiotherapy?

I recommend you go and see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Maggie, Ty for responding. Yes, these new lingering shocks are just how you described. They're more like electrical currents that last 5-10 secs to the right of my knee. I was diagnosed and had an MRI 4 mos ago. I never had surgery or a cortisone shot. I'm questioning if it's nerve regeneration? The reason why are these shocks are different than the quick shocks I used to get. None of my Dr's have ever had sciatica and just say the line that they prob tell everyone. It's part of the process. Ugghh..

Maggie, are you all done with your sciatic pains?

• Posted

Hi Mario, no I still have sciatica 1 year post fusion at L4-5 but my pain keeps changing. My worst problem is burning sensations in soles of both feet which makes walking or weight bearing eg standing difficult. I can swim but not kick and stationary bike but not add weight or go too fast. Its miserable I agree. Keeping fit is a big challenge. If you have bulging discs have you considered non invasive treatment eg decompression like traction table, inversion etc?
    • Posted

Maggie, spinal fusion is a serious deal. I'm so sorry you're still getting pain after 1 year. How's your Dr/surgeon say that the pain will subside? My feet used to burn, get cold, and get numb. I discovered foot massage and even learned how to massage my own feet. I followed the kidney Meridian foot massage and the burning and cold feet went away 2-3 weeks later. I think it's great that you continue to be active. They say being active will help cure sciatica. Decompression worked for me in the beginning. Then for some reason it would cause me to trigger shocks. I used to be very active in the gym 4-5 days a week. I lost all my lower back muscle. Maybe the stretching and exercises that I have been doing are breaking up Scar Tissue in my back which might be causing me these new shocks? I don't know anymore.

• Posted

I don't really understand, you are down to 1-3 shocks a day? how many were you having before? typical symptoms are constant but yours seem to need to be stimulated by something. getting up from a chair, getting out of bed. bending over, twisting? it might be that since the number of times are dropping, your herniation is getting better. the lasting pain could be do to your nerve endings repairing themselves after being damaged by your herniation. a lot of people have residual pain after surgery or decompression while the damaged never heals. maybe this is the pain from your healing process. either way take it slow, keep it healthy, and watch out for your BLT (Bending, Lifting and Twisting). 

• Posted

Ross, Ty so much for responding and your Insight. Yes, I used to have a sciatic shocks that just Zap to my outer right knee at least once an hour. Now I get 2- 3 shocks a day that last for about 10 seconds then goes away; until the next time. I take it that you're sciatic shocks are different than mine. I'm having a hard time finding someone that also gets the side of shocks to their outer knee. I'll remain hopeful and pray that is just my nerve endings repairing themselves. I'm definitely very careful to not over Bend, twist, hurt myself in that way. Thank you once again for responding Ross. I really appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.