Sciatica...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. As I'm posting on this site, I'm getting pretty desperate to get any input as to what is going on with my body. 

I'm a 17 y.o. female and have been suffering from what I believe to be sciatic pain in my left side for the past six months or so. I also suffer from health anxiety and have recently worried a lot about having MS or going through perimenopause, both of which I know are extremely unlikely (I know I'm only 17 but I get hot flashes and these flare-ups of pain that seem to me like they might be related to my hormones). My anxiety and pain has stopped me from going to school, so I'm mostly at home and sitting/laying down a lot, which I know is not making things better. 

I've been going to a physiotherapist for about 4 months, which has not helped my sciatic pain at all. I've also been examined by two different doctors to check for slipped discs/prolapse, which were negative. One doctor told me that I had a muscle spasm in that caused straightening of the lumbar spine and that my left SI joint seemed inflamed. I am scheduled for an MRI of my back next week. 

Right now I'm having a flare-up of the leg pain, I've looked at referral charts and at it's worst it is very similar to referral charts I've seen for SI-joint dysfunction, starting in the lower back between my iliac crest and spine going down the back of my leg and from my iliac crest down my groin in the front. Pain has also spread slightly to my right side, and I'm worried about getting the same full-blown pain as on the left. As well as the leg pain I I have cold/numb feet, very slight numbness in my hands, perceived weakness in my arms and stabbing pain in down the outside of my forearms and fingers. 

Walking or lying completely still seems to be the only thing that eases the pain temporarily. 

I've been told I should work on my posture and that I lean too much on my hips, and hollowing my back creates pain and a "pulling"-sensation from my lower back down my buttock on my left side.

When I'm not having a flare-up the movement that hurts the most is standing up or sitting down, and lying down on my stomach in the evening after sitting/standing for a long time. 

If I lie on my back and push my hips up, it feels like something locks that I cannot release. Neither the front of my hips or back are painful to the touch, like what is hurting is "too deep" in the hip for me to get to by just pushing on it.

I feel like no-one really knows what is wrong, and this pain is going to ruin my life; I honestly don't know if Ill be able to go back to school if this doesn't stop. I believe I'm in a mild depression from being virtually unable to move or do anything without feeling pain, and missing out on social life as I at this point am unaccustomed to leaving my house alone.

I know that no-one here, health professional or not, can magically diagnose me through the internet, but any feedback/similar experiences are appreciated! And if you made it this far, thanks for bearing with me. 

-A 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.