Sciatica?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have pain in my leg sometime right sometime left leg calf. I also feel heaviness (weakness) in legs but i can walk with limp

Feels stiffness on walking and sometime pain going into the feets as well but the symptoms are better when i lie down and is worse on standing up from sitting or lying pisition .

Can someone help me if it is sciatica?

Another thing i need to know is will physiotherapy improve the symptoms? Ot cycling?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sciatica is usually characterized by pain in the lower back or hip, extending through the buttocks and down ONE leg sometimes as far as the foot.  I have had sciatica episodes for decades through trauma (falling on my hip) or changing my gait for whatever reason...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

However, sciatic-like pain down BOTH legs along with the incredible weakness (I could barely walk 100 feet), at least in my case, was caused by spinal stenosis at L2/L3.  Found by an MRI, confirmed by a CT Myelogram with contrast.  To be sure, my neurosurgeon had his associate inject some cortisone directly into L2/L3...the temporary relief I got confirmed the correct location.

Nothing I know of is going to permanently decompress nerve roots in your spine.  Had an LLIF fision of L2/L3 that cured the stenosis instantaneously.  Woke up, ran the hallways, climbed stairs...  All the pain completely gone.  One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab.  Miracle op.

However, before you go that route, I'd have a chiropractor take a look to make sure your spine and hips are completely aligned and not the cause of your problem.  Totally non-invasive; no drugs.  I started there too.  She told me to see my neurosurgeon.

The story is here...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-expandable-spacer-570509

Again, I'm "Not-a-Doc" so I'm just telling you my story; yours matches very closely to my diagnosis of bi-lateral foraminal stenosis.  This is NOT a matter for a GP...that's why I recommend a quick chiropractic consultation and then a visit to a great neurosurgeon who has TONS of experience with the LLIF procedure.  Gotta find the right surgeon!!!  The first "L" stands for "lateral" since they get to your spine from the SIDE, not the back.  See the pictures...looks like a mini-car jack that's inserted and expanded to fit just right, taking all the pressure off the nerve roots. Pic 1 shows all the nerve impingement from a lateral view; pic 2 is the posterior view of the device; pic 3 is the post-op lateral view showing all the cleared space.  If you truly have stenosis, it's a miracle op.

What you need is a definitive diagnosis...that's neuro territory...  For a really great animation of the procedure, search YouTube for "Globus LLIF" for the technique and "Globus RISE" to show the expandable spacer.  This may be as simple as a chiropractic adjustment or as intricate as an LLIF.  Follow the yellow brick road.  You should NEVER live with this kind of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.