sciatica 5 months in no end in sight

Posted , 5 users are following.

i moved from the uk home to ireland in December, in the process, tried to move my own suitcases, i have been dealing with sciatica ever since, before this, i pulled my hamstrings at yoga that was a few weeks before

I haven't been able to walk at all in 5 months, i don't even get complete relief when taking pain meds

No MRI has been ordered, physiotherapists not doing consults because of COVID19, my family have lost patience with me now, i'm visually impaired and back with them for the time being. I can't take this anymore

I decided to try some mckenzie method exercises, but the pain never centralises and its been a few days now, i have booked an online physio apt for today, i don't know what else to do

when I mention any form of therapy at home, they just say don't waste my money, i don't know why in anyone's language its ok for someone to be in pain 5 months

I'm at my whits end, please, anyone else get out of pain after this amount of time, and how???

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm at the end of my rope now

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you can't get to physical therapy for heat treatment, try buying heat pads at a pharmacy.

• Edited

Good Morning

You have to be strong and there will be light at the end of the tunnel, i suffer from Sciatica and I dread the return, it is the worst constant ache you can have , forget massage physio I had it all , I contacted a Doctor in a America after searching on Youtube , he explained how pregnant women suffered with back pain because of the extra weight gain , and it disappeared once the baby was born , I was overweight which I still am ? but i drastically lost 2 stone and the pain gradually went away , I know now what weight it starts the pain to return so I can control it to a certain extent , also ice packs at the bottom of you back with you legs raised laying on your back eased the pain when it was at its worst , that is my story , hope you hey well soon

• Posted

Just wanted to say that I am "with you" Kerie. I have been suffering for 4 years now -but not with intense sciatic pain(My husband had that and saw the agony...but in time he recovered. He never had the slipped disc treated either. He just walked and swam like crazy albeit slowly). No, my pain is shared between my low buttock and foot on same side. On alternate days one of these is the worst symptom! It also affects my leg. As disturbing as all this is, the weak jelly like feeling I get in my leg and half of my foot - usually on days when pain is less- is just as frightening. I've tried everything and keep trying, try to keep moving, eat healthily, meditate....and perhaps the most disturbing thing of all is that even before the Covid crisis I was pushed from back consultant to foot consultant and the MRI of a few years ago showed no slipped disc but only "possible chemical reaction". I did injure my foot in the early days, which apparently has arthritis,but apart from stiffness in that foot I don't get a lot of joint pain, just dysfunction and burning nerve pain. What I need to say is that no-one seemed to be listening before (maybe because I walk very short distances looking normal)but they certainly aren't listening now. I have given up hope for the moment. I try to pain manage by keeping to a regular small amount of exercise each day and pacing myself, not sitting too long, not standing too long . I do some health qigong(tai chi stuff) each morning which is good for breathing, concentration, stretching and pain control. Good luck Kerie. These are difficult times which make everything, every pain, every other problem seem worse at the moment, don't you think?

• Posted

so sorry about you pain mate.

i have suffered from backpain and Sciatica over 3 years. i can understand your pain.

i know meds not working just you will get relief for a movement. but long term use can be harmful. if you see these meds possess memory loss, kidney damage,and some of then can cause pancreatic carcinoma.

because of pandemic most of chiropractor not available.

targeted exercise to realign spine is helping in both the pain. i am using pain breakthrough technique a DIY . it helped me . try these techniques it will help you too.

• Posted

what technique? I don't understand why you would mention something and not explain it????? Also your post is quite hard to understand?

• Posted

😊 it is so simple mate.. try exercise that align your spine, actually we don't know because of spine dislocation our nerves feel pressure. and as a result we suffer with pain.

Pain may be like upper backpain, lower backpain or hips & leg pain.

Technique i told you is a diy exercise that you can perform at home. i am doing it daily even after i am not feeling any pain. its not magic but a really technical exercise in 4 stages.

it's difficult to explain all exercise here. but i can share.hope that will be fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.