sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told that the pain I am experiencing is sciatica. I have pain in the buttocks that radiates up to the groin in the front of my leg and goes down the front to my knee and even to my ankle. I can't even lift my leg up. Has anyone else had this kind of pain. I am really getting nervous thinking this isn't sciatica. Help

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The classic definition of sciatica is that the pain radiates from your back and hips, through your glute (location of the sciatic knot) and down the BACK of your leg...not the front.

You need a correct diagnosis by a neurosurgeon...not a neurologist, orthopedist or GP.  This kind of pain can be hip related...something that a chiropractor can fix...but not likely.  Everything depends upon which nerve root is being impinged...anywhere from L2 through L5.  An MRI might show the problem or be inconclusive.  

That's what happened with me 5 years ago.  Doc and to go in.  Found a bone spur "crushing" (his word) a sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Simple laminectomy.  Immediate pain relief.

A CT/Myelogram with contrast is the gold standard test for the spine...pretty much gives the docs a map showing pretty much everything they need to see.  

In the end, it sounds like something spinal rather than hip alignment/SI joint related.  I'm no doc but I've had hip corrections for sciatica caused alignment issues and locked SI joints multiple times.  Also had that laminectomy plus an L3-S1 fusion.  In three weeks I'm having more surgery for L2/L3 bilateral stenosis (think sciatica but down BOTH legs since October).

To start the least invasive way possible, I'd get an x-ray and see a chiropractor.  An honest one will tell you the truth and refer you to a neurosurgeon for at least an MRI.  This past October, I did the two concurrently instead of sequentially.  Got to the truth faster that way.  My chiro saw the problem and knew that her talents wouldn't help me.  If necessary, a neurosurgeon will give you a complete diagnosis of what has to be done to your spine to fix your problem.

Start now...don't live with the pain any longer.

• Posted

I'm pretty sure sciatica is the back/ side of your leg. Look up where your sciatic never is and it'll show you a diagram. doesn't sound like sciatica to me but I'm not a doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.