sciatica

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi wondering if anyone has got any advice

I've had sciatica for 3 months now been on various different meds I'm currently taking amitriptyline 50mg along with paracetamol the amitriptyline is wiping me out I can't function properly I'm always tired I'm sure it's also making me depressed. I'm a personal trainer and I teach around 20 classes a week obviously I havnt been able to do this for 3 months now because the pain is unbearable I've tried acupuncture 4 times it did nothing for me. I have physio in 2 weeks time. Has anyone got any advice on what I can do to get rid of sciatica it's driving me mad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar situation but a bit further down the line. I would suggest you get an MRI scan ASAP so you know what is causing the problem. You will probably have to pay for it though or be prepared to wait another three months. If you have a disc problem, then acupuncture, physio etc will have very little impact. Other than that, walk as much as you can and regularly do the mckenzie (cobra) stretches at least three times a day. Pain killers again will have limited to no effect. I have been taking naproxen and amyltriptaline since August and neither have had much impact for me. Good luck.
  • Posted

I've dealt with sciatica many, many times over decades.  All depends on what's causing the issue:

1. Trauma: If you fell on your hip (I did this at times while skating without my hockey pads on), that could knock it out of whack.  Chiropractors have this "pretzel twist" technique that cures it in 10 seconds.  Had it done lots of times.

2. Alignment: If your hips/pelvis/lower spine is out of alignment from any cause, it needs to be re-aligned.  Chiropractor twice a week for a few weeks always does the trick for me.

3. Sacroiliac (SI) Joints: If these joints in your hips get locked up, the condition can cause sciatica.  Again, chiropractor fix.  For this one, however, I have chronic SI locks so I see my chiro on a regular basis to keep them loose.

4. Nerve Root Issues: The one time that nothing worked was when my neurosurgeon had to remove a bone spur literally crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4.  Same day decompressive laminectomy; no rehab.  Fixed in an hour.

The lesson here...  Find the root cause of your sciatica problem and fix IT instead of taking all those drugs just to treat the pain.  

• Posted

Ditch the amitryptaline immediately. I get really annoyed at how doctors prescribe this sedating medication with such alarming ease. U could instead try an extremely low dose of Lyrica eg 25mg at night. Lyrica blocks the pain signal from your brain but in a different way to amuse. However, neither are ideal. Can u get your sciatica treated? Start with an MRI to see where the impingement is happening
  • Posted

I sympathise with you. I am currently in hospital having regular pain relief (morphine, paracetamol etc).

I was okay exactly a week ago when sciatica hit me. I was at home and managed with tramadol every six hours and 300 mg gabapentin twice Daily. I was resting as well as getting around holding the furniture and doing the minimal exercise that they show on the NHS sciatica website, and these were the same as the physio that visited me at the house has given me. Then Wednesday I pulled an electric plug out of the wall socket and wham! Pain score out of 10? It was 15?

Back to square one.

Called 999 on docs advice. Because of my age(75) and admitted from A&E and affter x-ray showed some vertebrae displacement, was sent to another hospital for an MRI scan. Fortunately, no pinched spinal nerve or fracture. Total of five ambulance trips in the space of 7 hours. Wonderful NHS staff and service.

In reality, no-one I’ve asked can put a name to “what is actually causing this excruciating pain”.If you have a neurological problem from a trapped nerve then Something that treats that is likely needed. Physio is of relatively small usefulness as the only exercises are minimal and simple. Swimming and walking once mobilised, is apparently the thing to do. 

The NHS  choices website article on sciatica is pretty good.

I do hope you get sorted especially being involved in the fitness business. I’m someone who was on the go continuously and a carer too! This inabilty to get better is quite mind numbing. I can't go home until able to get about, which includes possibly using crutches. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.