Sciatica

Posted , 7 users are following.

HELP 😢😢 I have been suffering with sciatica for 8 mos. now, I’ve done absolutely EVERYTHING I can do and this junk refuses to go away. I’m having my 3rd and final epidural shot July 10th. Can any of you guys tell me what worked for you. I am sooooo depressed, just retired a year ago, moved to Miami to enjoy the beautiful weather and the ocean, but the sciatica has taken completely over my life. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My next step is surgery but I’m deadly afraid. Thanks Guys

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Here ya go.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

Hope it gives you some ideas...

• Posted

You have to find the SOURCE of the sciatic pain.  That's the real issue.  After hip and knee replacements plus four spine surgeries, the source of my sciatic pain was always hip alignment and locked SI joints because I was walking differently.  Everything out of whack.  Chiropractor fixed me up fine.  That one time where the source was traced to the bone spur at L4 required a surgical fix.

Not only is everyone different, but each occurrence can have a different root cause.  You have to find it and fix it.  That's why I always start with the most non-invasive, non-RX approach and go from there.  Just always focus on finding the real cause of the pain.

• Posted

Me too GenieBo, have you had an MRI to find out what is causing your pain? i had Epidurals and they helped for a couple of years then it came back, so i said lets do it again and the med I was given made my blood pressure go off the chart and i was told I was A-fibing, turned out I was ALERGIC to it. I called a Lazer MiniMal invasive and sent my MRI to them and they came back with a list of treatments. $13,00.00 out of pocket after my insurance would pay the MAX. I don't want surgery yet I will try TENS next, as I have a freind that was worse than me and he is doing very well wearing the TENS UNIT.

• Posted

Yes I’ve had an MRI, the doctor says I have a pinched nerve. I also inquired about the laser surgery, my price was 15,000.00 🤦🏽???. So did you mean 13,000.00 or 1,300.00. My pain went from the right side to the left, now both sides are hurting including my back. My back never really bothered me it was my buttock and calf, now both buttocks and both calf burning and tingling. I can’t lay down or sit down for long periods. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.😢

• Posted

In my experience, pain from the butt down one leg is always sciatica.  The one time when it went down BOTH legs plus a lot of leg weakness turned out to be bi-lateral foraminal stenosis.  In this situation, the bone canals between the vertebrae narrow so they pinch the nerve roots exiting the spinal column.

My fix was a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF).  Docs go in from the side (not the back), drill out the disk, insert a device that expands like a car jack to relieve all the pressure on the nerves, backfill it with a bone graft from the hip and close.  Miracle op.  Immediate relief, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab.  Best kept secret in spine surgery...

• Posted

I was in worst pain I had ever encountered for over 10 mo. With sciatic nerve pain . MarWin is the name on here posted an exercise routine to do. After 6 weeks of me doing them I was pain free and have been pain free since the first of this year.I still do the exercise routine daily just to make sure the pain doesnt return. At first starting the exercise routine its very painfull but gets better as you do them daily. I will send them to you if you want. 
    • Posted

Wayne54141

Yes please send them to me, I will start back walking in my pool tomorrow. Thank you so much.

• Posted

I have 2 herniated discs L2/3 & L3/4. Had nerve block at 3/4 that caused more pain. It took me a few weeks before I could do the exercise routine in full but I was very dedicated to do them. My only relief was crushed ice to freeze my lower back n that lasted about an hour then had to ice again.

I posted the exercise routine but it’s waiting for moderators 

• Posted

genieBo,

Trust me on this one....surgery for this is NOTHING !  I have been thru the pain of sciatica where I couldnt walk....couldnt sit or stand...completely debilitated....shots, expercise, steroids and meds didnt work....had reherniated my L5/S1 and had bone spurs pinching my sciatic nerve...had microdiscectomy - woke up to 0 pain!   Don’t put yourself thru this pain.  I know you are afraid of surgery but it will be fine and well worth it...as long as your doc feels you are a candidate for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.