Sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in February when doing my regular lunges in the gym I heard an audible 'pop' come from my left leg. Didn't think too much of it and as I work out regularly I thought the stiffness would pass, I'd be alright. Fast forward to March 14th I began having breathing problems and was advised to self isolate from March 16th. That week I stayed in bed, but really I should have got advice from my GP regarding my leg. The stiffness and numbness was getting worse and I wasn't working out. By the following week when I decided to start to work from home because by then we'd gone into lockdown, my leg had worsened. A long story short I've had excruciating, chronic pain from the base of my spine, running down the outside of my left leg, into the knee and continuing down my leg. The lower leg toward my foot which does not have the pain thankfully is ice cold. I have groin pain, I crawl along the floor, the leg is like lead the pain like I can't describe. Joints lock, bones click and the leg buckles beneath me. After numerous GP consultations I've been prescribed codamel, co-drydomal, naproxen which caused breathing problems, methocarbamol, diazepan, amitriptyline,lansoprazole gastro-resistant capsules and zapain.Along with the regular paracetamol and ibuprofen. I even tried CPD capsules. Numerous 111 calls, paramedics and 2 visits to the hospital with a stay over to monitor the pain and finally 7 weeks later a MRI has been booked. GP's told me MRI would be pointless, consultant said otherwise. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. The pain is right up there with childbirth and toothache. I could have delivered 6 times by now. Still have pain, but in my 7th week I am able to sit at the kitchen table be it for a short while. Haven't driven in weeks, for a very active person my bed is like a coffin. Trying to stay optimistic, looking forward for the MRI finally to know exactly what's going on. The leg has withered away and I've lost over a stone as I can't eat properly. My bowels don't work properly and although drinking heaps, don't urinate properly either. I wish you all a speedy recovery and I most definitely feel your pain. Only if you've experienced sciatica will you know what I'm talking about. Good luck everybody.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Check it out...

Sciatica

Could be. The least invasive, least expensive path is Chiropractic. If that doesn't work, you climb the "ladder of care". Hope this makes sense.

• Posted

This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I had a bulge from a herniated L5 disc in my spine laying on my sciatic nerve (got a CT scan), could literally barely walk / sit and had to try to sleep on a recliner as I couldn't get in or out of bed.

I needed a spine surgeon to try a Cortisone Injection in the spine before another surgery to shave the bulge, and this time it miraculously worked along with physical therapy.

I'd highly suggest getting a referral to an Orthopedic Doctor to get an Rx for a Cortisone shot, after the initial local anesthetic wore off the pain came back for about 10 days then the steroid did its thing and been good to go since.

So sorry for your pain, I know its agonizing, I started with laying flat with knees up and gently rocking them back and forth / lifting my butt (not the back) off the ground / squeezing a pillow or roll of toilet paper between my knee caps for about 10 seconds in this laying flat position.

Though if you are like I was and even percocet could not help with the shocking pain, definitely recommend a cortisone shot.

Good luck!

• Posted

To add to this I forgot that I had a previous surgery for same problem and almost as bad (bulge), but it does recede on it's own, the problem that I faced and what you may be facing is muscle weakness that can turn into what I understood to be basically paralysis.

So you want to keep moving to avoid muscle weakness winning (if your foot Falls flat when trying to walk on your heels or toes it's very bad muscle weakness), and if you are unable to strengthen your leg muscles doctors get concerned immediately as once its entirely gone it sounded like it was wheel chair time.

So no matter what or how, probably best to start with PT stuff I described, but work those leg and pelvic muscles (should really feel the pelvis in the butt lift otherwise you are putting your back up so keep that lower back on the floor).

Again good luck and please let me know if you have questions!

• Posted

Thanks for all your advice. We are suffering in silence, forgotten because of Covid-19. What timing!

• Posted

Thank you for your time and advice. I pray we all get a solution soon. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

How Awful For You Good Luck with M r i. It really is the worst Pain ever!! I am still in pain Every day. My Doctor is not mentioning Mri yet. I seen orthopedic In March who said this is just JUST Sciatica!!! Oh i was Angry i am much worse since then and you are just left to get on with this Horrid Pain. My life is Pretty Dull Lockdown is not good but let me tell you i have been left in this pain i wouldn't be able to go out anyway as cant walk . I dont take any Medication as like you i have all of what you have had and i had breathing problem with some meds too!!! Medication is not the Answer. Tip Do Try Voltarol Gel Rub it on 3Times Daily Sometimes i get Some Relief. All the Best.. X

• Edited

Thank you so much for your advice. I will purchase one today. I sort of feel comforted

knowing I'm not going mad and I'm not alone. I feel so helpless sometimes having to rely on others to help me. Thanks for the tip. Take care.

• Posted

Me too Joyce. I wish it was gone . Take Care too. All the Best

• Posted

My name is actually Joy. I can't bare the name Joyce. You weren't to know. Take good care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.