Sciatica and vitamins

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had back issues following a RTC rear impact last July.

The issue is at the L3/4 area predominately, with the pain usually being at a constant level.

For the few weeks, the sciatica has been flaring up to the point I've had to go to A+E and following a conversation with 111 had an ambulance sent out to assess me (to hasten both on medical advice not of my doing), and I am vomitting with the pain.

Has anyone had any success in reducing the level of pain when using vitamin C and B in conjunction with their medication? Or have any tips for getting the pain back to managable (at this point I will try anything while I wait for my injections)

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ladyfish, Patricia here. I am in the US and had surgery back in

November for a ruptured disc and severe stenosis @ L4-L5. It took 13

months from bebinning of pain to surgery before they got me into the

OR, part of which I had to work until Retirement. I was a RN working

three 12 hr shifts weekly on an Ortho Surg unit. A Lot of heavy lifting and twisting in spite of my condition And I fully believe that there were only

four things that I can attribute to being able to survive the crippling

Sciatic pain...... Ibuprophen 600 mg every 6 hrs (OTC), a sturdy back

brace (the black one with lots of support), a gel ice pack that I used

faithfully when the pain was really bad, and lots of perseverance. The

Ibuprophen really is the key. Along the way your body will let you know

what you can and cannot do as far as physical activity is concerned.

Lifting anything heavy, bending at the waist, and twisting caused me immeasurable pain........really, anything that put additional pressure on the Sciatic Nerve. In my case, both sides were involved. I might add that I

turned 67 yrs old last week and now feel wonderful. Good luck and I

hope that I was able to help you a bit. This is a great forum to use for

support, info, and tips. You will encounter a lot of really nice people on here.

Patricia

• Posted

I have tried every medication from Ibuprofen to tramadol and nothing worked for me. I am now using Morphine patchs and they have been brilliant. After months of sleepless nights screaming in pain I now have a good 8 hours sleep. Their not for everyone and some people do worry as you can't just stop taking them but have to come off them slowly but if your in as much pain as I was that's the least of your worries.
    • Posted

Andrea I'm using them have been for the last 2 months recently the last 3 weeks the patches have started to burn my skin causing irritation redness and dryness have you had this at all ?
  • Posted

Thanks guys.

Patricia unfortunately I can't have ibroprofen as it sets my asthma off - although an A+E Dr did tell me it might be worth trying it. But thank you - I know this is a long process, but understand as I am a teacher (Geography) so am meant to be able to be active.

Andrea, how long have you had yours now?

• Posted

Mine started in September, I was lucky I had private health care paid for by my employer so got thinks done quicker once it had been diagnosed. I had a MRI and I have a compressed and slipped disc at l5/6. I have tried the epidural injections but unfortunately they only worked for a short time and I am now waiting for and operation to decompress the vertebrae. How long have you had yours?
    • Posted

I had my RTC in July but the sciatica didn't really appear until September, I just thought I was in alot of pain from what I thought was whiplash from the car accident.

My osteo pointed out distention at L3/4 and an issue at C5/6 (I think), I am going back in the Easter Holidays to get my back reassessed by the osteo.

I'm currently waiting on the steriod injections now, although my GP has highlighted in the past that I may need an op at somepoint as at 28 I shouldn't be in this much pain - hoping that won't be the case though!

• Posted

When I had the injections I was totally pain free for 10 days and it was like being in heaven but the pain came back really bad for a couple of days but has settled down again now, Not all people are the same my sister in law has them and they work great for her. I think for a long term fix the op is the best way to go. I am 50 so they seem to think it's down to the menopause.
  • Posted

Hi sciatic and back pain really is the worst pain to live with. I am 41 years old a d have always been fit and active, exercising 4-5 times per week. I have suffered for many years with my back but a couple of years ago I developed really bad sciatic and lower back pain. Tried physio, acupuncture, steroid Injections twice both with no success and also steroid injections in facet joints.  After 3 mri and lots of discussions with two different surgeons I had a pressure test done on three discs late last year to confirm pain was caused by suspected discs. This test was positive and I had a two level spinal fusion in lumbar with screws and rods and the third disc stabilised with a flexible rod to stop strain of non motion in lower back causing later problems.

had this surgery 6 weeks ago and this was the best decision I made. I have spent two years on so much medication, tramadol, morphine, diazepam, sleeping tablets, naproxen, nerve blockers and others along the way. I am currently in physio but still on meds at the moment but have an apt with go next week to start slowly lowering doses. I am in much less pain, still sore at surgery site and a little sciatic in buttocks if I do too much but I am walking up to a,mile everyday now and just starting cycling on a static bike. Fusion was the best thing I have done and am looking forward to slowly getting back to a full active lifestyle. Good luck and I hope you are pain free soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies ladies.

I've spent the day in hospital having various tests as I've started experiencing a sharp pain in my lower abdomen - CT ruled out anything sinister so I have to wait for a follow up appointment and see how it goes.

Last thing I needed with the sciatica and cold/flu!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.