Sciatica for 6 weeks, PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I need help, immediately.

I've been dealing with sciatic issues for years but NEVER have I ever been in so much pain. The pain is deep down in my left buttocks and shoots down my entire leg. I have tingling often, and a gnawing pain almost like a horrible toothache in my leg.

I went to the doctor, he put me on steroids and a muscle relaxer. They had 0 effect. I'm waiting to see an orthopedic, but that's another 2 weeks from now.

I literally cannot live this way. I'm almost immobile, I barely sleep, I'm never comfortable, depressed, anxious, it's horrible. Does anybody have any suggestions to ease the pain?? I've done every stretch, heat therapy, meds. Nothing helps at all. Thanks.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gosh you poor thing! When you see the surgeon make sure you push for an MRI and nerve conduction studies. Don't let them fob you off if your pain is so severe. Any dr worth their salt won't question it anyway. Yes heat, rest and not siting for too long will help. It's terrible I know. Mine was caught between my pelvis and femur, when I was 31. I was in agony pre and post op and ended up with nerve damage. I hope they figure it out soon!

• Posted

Yes, I am 31 at this time. This is the worst it's ever been. I've never felt this amount of pain in my life. I am starting to have pelvic pain as well. I'm just a mess.

• Posted

Oh I feel so sorry for you. Tell they if you have any trouble toileting (ie incontenent etc). I didn't because I had such severe pain I was in and out of A&E and my urinary symptoms went by the way side. My pain was located in my hip and I couldn't move at all. I was on ibuprofen suppositories which helped me, oral tramadol, Valium and codeine. I had open surgery but it was complicated. Sigh. Maybe try suppositories? They denned to help the inflammation more directly - and more immediately. I couldn't move to have a bath (couldn't shower either) but if you can, Epsom salts are good. Do you have someone to help you?

• Posted

*incontinent. *seemed. (Sorry, spelling mistakes).
    • Posted

My bowel movements are definitely effected by this. It hurts so bad when I push that I avoid using restroom, which I know I can't keep doing because it will block me up. I can urinate with no problem, it just kills to sit on the toilet seat first thing in the morning.

• Posted

Start drinking Apple Cider Vinegar after breakfast. Drink a little table salt in water. Take a probiotic. Your gut bacteria is messed up. Yogurt is good too. Be sure to get magnesium in your daily supplements. 200 to 400 mg. it will take care of Bowels. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi. I take 500 mg of magnesium a day and it doesn't help me use the bathroom at all. I do however eat a probiotic yogurt that has been helping.

• Posted

It is better to take the magnesium in water . Put magnesium powder, three teaspoons in a liter of water and keep it in the fridge. First thing in the morning BEFORE you eat or drink anything aelse you drink about half a glass, thirty minutes later or so, you should have a bowel movement. Magnesium capsules don't havve this effect. Has to be on an empty stomach. If you can get KEFIR , that helps restore gut flora & fauna.

I had my Ultrasound & it eleminated any hip problem. So the terrible pain in groin and hips is all from The Spine!

• Posted

Hi,  I can totally sympathise with you. I started with it in April and had exactly same struggles and horrendous pain. I'm.not too had now but been left with a limp which is really frustrating. I found a physio who was hands on and actually elbowed my bum cheek .This killed but over time helped me be more mobile. As they say no pain no gain. Try find someone to massage your bum/leg maybe

• Posted

Hi. I have a friend who did a short medical massage on my glute and the pain brcsnr worse! I see an orthopedic next week. Hopefully he can help!
    • Posted

I saw a Chiropractor but his manipulation made the sciatica pain worse. It is patient by patient and what will bring you freedom from constant pain discomfort. Miserable stuff but mine slowly declined. I keep moving and not too strenuous exercise. Learn to relax and take your mind away from it. Watch TV to distract. Put a pillow under your back or leg. Have a glass of wine. Deep breath.
  • Posted

I know I'm maybe too late for this conversation but I have been going through the same thing for the last 5 weeks going on 6. I am still in a lot of pain I've been to two different hospitals in the first week plus a dr come to the house which didn't help nothing. I have a herniated disc L5S1 since 2006 due to hurting it at work I have experienced pain through the years but never at this point where I am not able to shower myself wipe myself basically can't do anything for myself. I was in a n accident in May 2016 and after that have been having a lot of back pain more then before when i herniated my disc I mean it would come and go but after this accident it has been all the time. I am 41 years old with two children and a wonderful husband. They are really understanding and helpful. My mother stayed with me the first two weeks which I am very greatful for my son is on employment insurance due to weather conditions so he had been taking very good care of me he's 23 and is a very beautiful care boy my daughter 20 works a lot of isn't really home but tries to help as much as she can.

I was giving a lot of different meds for the pain from muscle relaxers to painkillers. I have been taking perocets from first herniating my disc in 2006. I was giving talwin and then morphine then hyrdomorpin I found nothing helped me but Percocet.if this ever happens to anyone or perhaps have it again maybe try those cause I found that they bel more then any other pill plus my mom were rub voltran cream which helped with the tremors. This pain is just so intense that I don't understand how with all of the resources we have that the hospital or doctors can't help with a faster more effective way to help take the pain away, I mean this pain lasts very long and i can understand why there isn't a fast way of helping the pain go away. I have physiotherapy coming to my house two times a week due me not being able to leave my house to get to my really physio theropist and he is a life saving I am on the road to recovery but it feels like every time I feel a little better I wake up the next morning with a lot of pain. It is just so frustrating at this point. I still have trouble sitting down to go to the washroom and wiping sad I hope unare feeling better from when u first posted this.

I hope maybe u can share ur update with me cause I am looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. My foot is a big problem it feels like something is wrapped around my heel to the middle of my foot it's like numb and tingling like I could step on something I wouldn't feel it. It is very annoying feeling this pain all the time and I find that I am unbalanced as well. Hope to hear from u all soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.