Sciatica, help!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hey!

I'm a 21 year old female & I was diagnosed with Sciatica in December & it's been driving me crazy since. I have had back problems in the past as I done gymnastics from a young age & studied make-up artistry for two years, both which can strain your back, also my job of working in retail has not helped. I have been in & out of the doctor's & it recently got so bad I had to go to hospital, I have been referred to physio however the waiting list is at least 10 weeks long before I will get to see someone. I've been taking advice from doctor's, I am on medication however I don't find it is helping, I have been doing stretches, yoga, going swimming, walking for as long as I can before the pain gets unbearable & to no avail. It's gotten so bad I can't sleep at night because I can't lie in a position without feeling shooting pains through my calf or my thigh. I'm really at my wits end, I'm so frustrated & down all the time because the pain is constant & it's stopping me from living my normal life & going out at the weekend with my friends. Can anyone recommend anything else that might help? The pain started in my lower back & has now spread to my calf & in the past few days has been making my foot feel numb. I really don't know what to do, i'm so down sad thanks x

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, new to this site. I have had sciatica on and off for years now. My most recent bout is awful. My gp have me cocodamol brufen and amytriptoline as a relaxing agent. Nothing has helped. I continued with this pain relief for 6 months. Recently I decided to take another step myself, as I was not improving at all, but steadily worsening. I found a local registered chiropractor and thought I'd give it a go. The chiropractor has diagnosed SI joint issue of reduced movement with arthritis complicating it. A couple of days back I went back to the gp and am being referred to the musculoskeletal team. I have had 3 treatments with the chiropractor and have gone from being able to walk short distances to now being unable to walk more than a dozen steps. So now almost completely bed bound. At the end of my tether! I am (was a young) 56.

• Posted

ANY updates?  I have been going through the same thing for a month now, cant stand or walk, MRI shows 2 bad disc L4-5 and L5-S1.   Not sure how working muscles out and massage can fix a disc that is torn and inside of it is pushing into the nerve?

But any help would be huge.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.