Sciatica in neck and arm??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi for a few days now i have had a dull ache up my arm. At times my chest hurts a bit too. From yesterday the ache has gone to my shoulder and neck. Its really worrying me so i rang my doctor who has told me its sciatica. Does this sound familiar? I can't help but think its something more serious 🙁🙁🙁

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Nope.  The term "sciatica" is usually reserved for pinched nerves in the lumbar spine (the source of the sciatic nerve), hips, pelvis or SI joints and runs from your hip down one leg.  The pain you're feeling is "similar" to sciatica in symptomatology but has a different cause...most likely something in your C-spine area.  I've had sciatica many times over the years.  No doc, no drugs.  Chiropractor works just fine for me. 

• Posted

Hi

My neck problem started with neck ache, then I started getting running up & down my arms, the next thing was weakness in my legs & pain in my feet, I had no idea what it was & ,my GP at the time was useless to put it mildly, she sent me for physio' after about 6 sessions the physio noticed I was getting worse, so told me to go back to see my GP, I did but asked to see another one...... guess what this GP also recommended more phyio# but I had at this point had enough & i demanded an MRI......the Scan showed that I had a very serious compression of the spinal cord & most of my vertebra were badly worn & 2 were out of line , when I eventually got the correct neurosurgeon [ I saw 3] the first 2 got it wrong and recommended  procedures that would have made things worse not better, the 3rd got it right & told me I did the right thing in asking for a 3rd opinion, he also told me that the physio that I had had was the worse thing that my GP could have  suggested to the extent that the physio treatment could have paralysed me..

The Moral of the story is get more than one opinion & make sure you are confident with the surgeon who is going to "make you or brake you" your life is in their hands ..for any serious surgery you have to have best surgeon possible that's at the top of his field.   

• Posted

If this as comprehensive as you suggest, then see a neurosurgeon (not a neurologist) and have them order a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  It is the "gold standard" test for the spine and shows a lot more intricacies than an MRI.  Provides them with a complete map.

• Posted

Chico

I don't know if your post above is meant for me or Rachael22558 ?

As for me I always see a neurosurgeon.

also to quote from one of previous posts above > 

"I've have sciatica many times over the years, no docs,no drugs Chiropractor works just fine for me". 

I thought in the previous communications with me [similar topic] you had  surgery for your sciatica .

• Posted

Don't remember...

Yes, I've had lots of sciatica problems over the years.  Some were caused by trauma (falling on my hip while power-skating without pads in my hockey days), others caused by the misalignment of hips and pelvis plus locked SI joints...the last being a common problem I have from time to time.  All of these were fixed by chiropractic manipulation.  All very successfully.

However, there was that one time when nothing worked...chiro, anti-inflammatories, spinal injections by a pain management doc, physical therapy...nothing.  That's when I visited the neurosurgeon that saved my wife's life from a brain aneurysm.  MRI was inconclusive so he went in and found the bone spur crushing the sciatic nerve root.  Done...totally cured the problem.

So I always recommend an x-ray first.  If it shows a misalignment in back, hips, pelvis, SI joints, then chiropractic is the least invasive and non-medication way of potentially fixing it.  I HATE those nerve drugs!!!  Too many side effects when a simple manipulation can fix the issue.

Of course, if there is no relief, then you have to take the next step...which is different for everyone.  For some situations like my bone spur, there was absolutely no other solution than the surgery.  No drug, no shot, no manipulation could fix that.  Cutting is always the last option but sometimes it may be the only one that gets the job done.  No one should have to live with constant pain and the drugs only mask the symptoms. 

Find the root cause of the problem and get it fixed.  I've always done that.  29 ops in 18 years...lots of really minor stuff but all fixable (seven trigger fingers, one carpal tunnel, four knee scopes, two shoulder impingements, etc....even the laminectomy for the bone spur...easy).  The big ones were the replaced right hip and left knee plus the L3-S1 TLIF fusion.  Lots of recovery time.  The L2/L3 LLIF fusion for stenosis was a one-day affair...like it never happened.  Sometimes you get lucky.  I'm almost 70, working full time and playing in my blues band.  Gotta have quality of life...

• Posted

in a band hey Chico you go for it my friend !! great stuff.

the thing that worries me about chiropractic's is the aggressive way they do things. I have had both hips replaced the 2nd op' was last year great job, the 1st was 15 years ago and a bad job done by a bad surgeon, wrong leg length, rotation out of line, hence a long recover & problems with it ever since but I put up with it & now it needs doing again, the ball has worn to the edge of the socket so it could now easily dislocate with any aggressive manipulation around the lower back from a chiropractor.. but the neurosurgeon I have been seeing recommended it before surgery he also suggested Acupuncture, but I am not confident about either method, especially chiropractic's with my dodgy hip . 12 day to go before I see my preferred neurosurgeon, lets see what he has to say.  what I do know is that my lower lumber back pain & mainly sciatica in both buttocks & both legs is due to Stenosis... I have not mentioned this in previous posts but what brought this latest and worst ever session of lower back pain & sciatica that I have ever had  is I did something very very stupid, I was lifting my motorcycle 200 kilograms off the floor after dropping it off the side stand, I only felt a twinge at the time but the next morning I was in agony & it got worse as the days went on especially the sciatic pain, that all started 10 weeks ago & still in pain, not as bad as previous weeks but still bad ! regarding a very possible op' for this I am just worried it might not work out & that I will finish up with more pain..cry

I will of course keep you posted

• Posted

I had to find a chiro that was very experienced dealing with people who had a lot of metal parts, especially my spine and hip.  Found one who understands and is very good at working around the hardware.

I had bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3.  Cured instantly by an LLIF fusion.  With the Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion technique, they go in from your SIDE, not your back and insert an expandable device that replaces the damaged disk, widens the intervertebral space and eliminates the stenosis.  90-minute op, one night in the hospital, zero rehab, no brace.  Yes, a bit of lingering nerve pain for a few weeks but that diminishes daily.  Very successful op; complete cure.  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" to see the animation.  Pic below.

I started music on drums and guitar at age 11 in 1959...been gigging all my life.  Almost 70 and joined a new band; should be on stage in the next few months.  I'm a blues/rock bassist with lead and harmony vocals so I always find someone who needs an experienced performer.  Been in TX for 7 years and in a few bands.  Before that, in New Jersey, I put together and led a 13-piece, FIVE HORN blues/rock band that was INCREDIBLE!!!  Go to the "reverbnation" website ...I think you'll love the music.  My daughter fronted the band for 4 years...listen to her do Bonnie Raitt's "Love Me Like a Man".  Killer...

• Posted

Hi Chico

is that you with the guitar in the photo ? what a god looking guy & great  musician by the sounds of it.

I found the reverb website & listened to the track, your daughter certainly can sing brilliant blues music ! I love it !  Only wished I could move to it like I used to...cool only time will tell...

• Posted

Yup...me...  Still playing at 70...and working full time.  I'll die on stage or at my computer.

PS: I'm singing lead on the first three songs in the list...also the Hey Bartender video...

• Posted

Great music Chico...you have certainly got the Rhythm & Blues going in the Reverbnation. keep it going man

I have been to the USA a few times & was lucky enough to visit Memphis, What a great atmosphere Beale Street has. been to Vegas 3 times, also Orlando, Hawaii, LA, New York, Sanfrancisco & Mexico...we have done some great trips over the years, but we are now done with the long hauls..sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.