Sciatica on behalf of active mother prior to condition.

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little history my mother was very active prior to this condition she and a friend would walk 5 to 7 miles 3 times a week, now she cannot walk any long distance because of back and leg pain. She has been to the doctors have been prescribed pain pills that do not work, as well as topical ointments. The doctors want her to go the therapy and to see a rheumatologist before ordering a shot which some says she should try any thoughts would be helpful, I don't like seeing her depressed. sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

She should go back to her doctor and discuss her meds. Most pain medications do not have an effect on nerve pain and a combination of meds suited to the individual might help. She shouldn't have to live with this pain. Did the sciatic pain develop after a recognisable event, (lifting, twisting, etc) the fact that she has been referred to a rheumatologist would suggest not and maybe the doctor believes it may be an age related issue. Most doctors would suggest physio as a first base along with pain meds. The rheumatologist would probably recommend an MRI to try and identify the real cause and from the results would decide whether a nerve block injection is required. 

It all takes so long and the pain can leave you feeling quite down.

I have a herniated disc (L5 S1) and have been unable to walk or stand for more than a couple of mins. I've tried a mixture of meds, Physio and acupuncture and 14 weeks on I'm still in pain so decided to go private. Had a consultation, MRI and a second consultation within 2 weeks and have appointment for nerve blocker tomorrow. 

My Consultant has told me that the disc is in recovery and that if sciatica has not resolved in 6-8 weeks can last 4-5 months. He also said that 80% of people that have sciatica will not get it again and there is a 70% chance of nerve blocker working but it has had good results for leg pain.

fingers crossed....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.