Sciatica or Coccydinia advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 30 year old male and for two months I've been suffering with pain at the base of my spine on the right hand side and a deep pain in my right buttock. There was no obvious event that triggered the onset of the pain.

Over the course of the two month period, I have tried avoiding sitting too much, I have kept active with lots of walking, I have stretched and strengthened the piriformis, hips, thighs, hamstrings and pelvis. I have good days and sometimes up to four good days with minimal pain but then I can have a bad day where I can barely walk and getting in and out bed gives me a sharp, almost dirty, pinching pain. It's excruciating and if I had to imagine the cause, I'd say it was tendons being crunched.

If I had to pinpoint the areas exactly, it would be a spot deep in my right buttock about a third of the way down and the right side of my tailbone which is tender to the touch.

Stretching hasn't helped and may indeed make it worse. Walking can be therapeutic when I'm able to do it. One thing that felt good was doing handstands in a swimming pool. This felt like a trunk strengthening, therapeutic activity.

One confusing characteristic is that after playing football one evening (on the advice of an osteopath), it felt much better the next day and almost non-existent. However the day after, it was at it's very worse. This makes me wonder if tightening muscles are having a big effect on the amount of pressure on the nerve.

I'm posting this because I'm unable to make sense of the ailment and what I need to do to treat it. It seems like treatments are having no easily discernible benefits and I'm not sure what I should continue to do. It has occurred to me that I should avoid all stretching until all pain has subsided but most advice is contrary to this.

If anyone recognises these symptoms and can perhaps share guidance or ideas on ways forward, I'd appreciate it very much.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

it's probably Sciatica symptoms. Go see a pain doctor (Anesthesiologist)

• Posted

Sciatica

Sounds like sciatica to me. I go to a chiropractor...has worked every time for me over decades except once when I had a bone spur crushing the sciatic nerve at L4. Simple spine op...pain gone immediately. I'd start non-invasive, non-RX medicated (use OTC ibuprofen for 10 days max). It usually takes a hip and spine adjustment to loosen the SI joints and relieve the pinched nerve. Last time I had the problem, it took a few weeks of chiro to align everything and keep it that way. I'd start there...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.