Sciatica or something worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please bear with me. This may be long but there is alot of background.

In June this year, I had a sabeceous cyst removed from the middle of my back. This was small and only required 3 stitches.

4 days after this I was unable to urinate properley. And after various consultations, trial and error with my GP, and a visit to a urologist, I have been told I have a urethal stricture. My flow is not normal per se. But is more normal to me than it was say 3 months ago. For instance, 4 weeks ago was the last time I was unable to achieve a flow at all. I have a urology appointment in March next year. Camera investigation for me....

Kidney MRI clear. Bladder MRI clear. Bloods x 4 clear. Urine clear.

Around 8 weeks ago, i started experiencing low back pain. I ran alot ( I can't now unfortunately...), played football and did spin classes at the gym. The pain became so severe on my left side that i consulted an Osteopath. I could hardly sit or drive without being in.agony. After 5 treatments im tolds my L4/L5 is causing me sciatica. Which had been consistent with my symptoms the last 6 weeks. Despite exercises amd some swimming, this hasn't gone away. And in fact some of my more recent 'pains' are causing me concern. In the last 3/4 weeks I have experienced:

Pain on my spine in the middle of my back.

Severe headaches. (These are gone)

Difficulty maintaining an erection.

Loss of sensitivity when ejaculating.

Pain and numbness down my right side. Mainly right leg and calf.

Short sharp pain on the inside of my hip bones. In my abominal area.

Abdominal pain. Again short and sharp. But on both sides.

Pain on the outside of my left buttock. Almost on my hip.

My Osteopath suggests all are related to the same nerve area. And that in the main these nerves are causing the issues i have.

Im honestly now getting worried and quite low about this. I was a fit and healthy 42 year old until 6 months ago. I can no longer train the 4 or 5 times per week i was doing. And have gained about 14lbs in the last 8 weeks. I work in an office and also driving alot. I have changed seats, used supports, used painkillers, ice packs, heat packs, physio, reiki and now and osteopath...I take vitamins regularly and generally kept a good bill of health until July this year.

Im hoping someone somewhere has a suggestion as to what i have or can do.

Note, in the process of finding my urethal stricture, we went down a route of looking at a problem Sphinter...the side affects from the pills i took made me constipated and caused no end of problems. As an former IBS sufferer, these symptoms came rushing back.

As i sit here i have hamstring pain in my sciatic left side. And pain on my left shoulder. My symptoms are so strange and causing me concern. Especially those which come and go. Like yesterday, my middle toe in my right foot was completely frozen and as if i had stubbed it. I hadnt....

Worth also noting that earlier this year i had numbness in my legs first thing in the morning. This went away after a few months. I put this down to bad circulation and over exertion...

Would appreciate any advice on offer.

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not medially qualified to give you an opinion but all your symptoms do correlate with spinal nerve impingement. I had similar symptoms and have recently had laminectomy and fusion at L4-5. The surgery may have irritated your sciatic nerves if it was anywhere near that area and caused swelling or inflammation. You probably need to try anti inflammatory meds and rest. But first and foremost go and see a neurologist and get and MRI done of your lumbar spine

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I've started on some herbal anti inflams as the others interfere with my IBS...

Appreciate you replying. MRI seems like the next logical step.

• Posted

Hi

You definitely have some severe nerve damage & it sounds like it could have been caused by the Doctor who removed the cyst, although you say it only needed 3 stiches it would depend on how deep the doc' had to go to get rid of it. Not knowing all your history could it be your prostate ? but if you had problems urinating & no erectile dysfunction before the cyst was removed it does look a bit iffy.

Have you seen a Neurosurgeon if not that has to be your next urgent move.

PS... back to the Doc who removed the cyst I will tell you from experience non of them are very good at expecting any blame & if you complain they don't take thar well at all, believe me.

Good Luck 

• Posted

Thanks for your message.

Prostate was checked and clear some months ago. Also, the osteo suggested the cyst wouldnt have been deep enough as only a local and not a general.

I cant help but think there is a link but surgeon, gp and osteo all seem to disagree.

Thanks again.

• Posted

It's unlikely to be the cyst as that's very superficial in terms of depth in body. Your spine and sciatic nerve are buried deep in the centre of your body. Go see a neurologist and a neurosurgeon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.