Sciatica pain altered after 12 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, I have always had the same symptoms with my right sided sciatica being buttock and calf pain worse on sitting but for the last few months intermittently and permanently for the last couple of weeks I have also been getting knee pain in both knees and leg / thigh muscle weakness worse on walking. I am concerned about the new symptoms. Does anybody else get this? I am seeing a neurosurgeon in approx 5 weeks to discuss recent mri. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

this is great news re you seeing a neurosurgeon, the MRI will reveal to him the cause of all your pain and numbness, and hopefully he will offer you a quick date for spinal surgery, I have Sinal Stenosis and have had decompression on L4 & L5 plus spinal fusion on 1,2,& 3. I am feeling the benefit now after 6 weeks having had my surgery. be patient and do the excercises, they will cause discomfort, but follow your physiotherapist's instructions and you will get there for sure. God bless
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I hope so getting fed up with it now. I have large disc extrusion at l5 s1 and disc bulge at l3 l4 both with nerve impingement.
    • Posted

Hi John,

I'm intrigued by your response - in May last year I also had surgery to L4/L5, and the follow up in June with the consultant left much to be desired, as I was supposed to have both a decompression and a discectomy - on the morning of my surgery, it appeared that the hospital had lost both consent forms that I had signed, and I was asked to sign another - blank - one, which I did, but perhaps my signing only the one form second time around was the reason for only having the decompression. However, I digress slightly - I had (still do) permanent pins and needles in my right foot, which now seems to be turning inwards, almost hook-like, on itself - walking is very uncomfortable, and only for about 100 metres at a time, not helped at all by severe pain in both calves; the consultant said that this would improve over time, and to see him again in December, which I did - as a result of that December appointment, I have now been referred to the 'Pain Clinic' and have an appointment this Saturday, so hopefully something will come of that - but the intrigue is because you have referred to your physiotherapists instructions - I haven't even been seen by a physiotherapist - should I have done by now, or is this something that I will be referred to by the Pain Clinic (and have to wait a further three+ months for such an appointment!)?

Regards

Patient99

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.