Sciatica Pain for Almost a week now....Any Advice on how to help rid of the pain?

Posted , 5 users are following.

The pain is mostly when I stand up, sit down, and getting in/out of my car. The pain is generally in the right butt/hip area. Also I've been sleeping on the floor lately because it feels more bearable than sleeping on a bed. At my job i sit in a cube all day which I now is not good so I've been getting up every 1/2 hour or hour to move around or take a quick walk. I normally go to the gym 3-4 days a week but have not been able to because of the pain. 

Things I've tried are stretching excercises that I've seen on online. Some excercises help but others seem to make it worse. Do I need to do different excercises regardless if there is pain (will get worse before it gets better type of thing) or only stick to what helps? Also I've been taking Ibuprofen (800mg) but that doesn't seem to help. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches#knee-to-opposite-shoulder

Is there any advice on what stretches I should focus on and/or other tips that might help? I would be very appreciative of the help. 

Thanks!!!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes my spouse is dealing with this.   His main complaint is pain when driving and then it being bothersome thru out the day and night.  He does stretches and also taking pain meds..  I'm sure he is hoping it goes away since it hasn't been fun to deal with..   Are you going to the doctor soon to get some X-ray's or MRI?  Keep researching-- many people are dealing with it and finding ways to cope.

• Posted

My husband just back from a  seminar about Sciatica at this physical therapy place..  He was just wanting some information..  I was reading it and it did say a healthy diet and weight is helpful.  Younger people do heal faster and it eventually does go away. So once you heal, just continue to keep yourself strong.  Sleep and rest are also helpful.  There was a few other things but maybe you could look around your area and try physical therapy...  best of luck!!
  • Posted

Just to give everyone an update....the stretching this past week seems to have helped. Also, with the research I've been doing I found some people having some luck with BioFreeze. I thought I'd give it a try and the pain has diminished a lot since I started using this stuff Friday afternoon. I want to say 80% of the pain has gone after a day of using it. It's not instant but had to give it some time to work itself. It is a lot more tolerable going to sit and to stand. I still get some pain when I get in/out of my car but it is a little more tolerable. I'm hoping my continued stretching + BioFreeze will make this go away in the next several days. You will still need to continue your stretching of course but the BioFreeze might also help with any pain while you stretch. I will keep this thread updated in the next few days. 

• Posted

Yes I agree about the stretching, I’ve been doing yoga for the last 2weeks, at first it aggravated the sciatica. I almost quit again. Decided to push through and it has gotten better. 

Guys another thing that I realize that if I eat anything sweet or to much salt you best believe you will have more pain. I don’t eat anything sweet AT ALL, I have put it to the test several times and wanted to make sure before I post anything about the sweets. 

I pray for each and everyone of us that’s suffering with this.

Continue to fight it with everything you got.

• Posted

You can try these 6 exercices:

reclining pigeon pose

sitting pigeon pose

forward pigeon pose

knee to opposite shoulder

sitting spinal stretch

standing hamstring stretch

(look on google they are really easycheesygrin)

I'm just trying to help you guys to get rid of this sciatica because I know how it feels, and I want to let the world know there is a solution. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.