Sciatica pain or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, hoping someone can help. A few weeks ago I woke up with severe pain behind my right bum. I'd had a good 2 hour training session but had a niggle in my top of leg for a few weeks, the next day it Felt like the top of my hamstring had a knife in it. Pain can go down to behind my knee but the main pain is always top of my leg. Phoned the Dr he said sciatica and give me Co codamol and naproxen. 3weeks on I have had to borrow some crutches to help me move. They now don't help. I can't sit in my car, the pain is so bad. I've been in bed for the last 4 days unable to move. I stood up today but the pain was so bad. The main concern now is... pain usually goes away if I lie in certain positions but now it won't go away, it is constant acute pain. I've got a good pain threshold, I was a boxer and martial artist so can take a kick but this knocks me for 6, the pain isn't subsiding and Dr only talks over phone atm and said rest and painkillers. I've a feeling it's worse than what he thinks. My lower back doesn't hurt but it doesn't feel right.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

If it is sciatica, then what your doctor advised you first was fine, but it should never be just painkillers. Even in the worst of the pain, it has to be accompanied with exercises to get the sciatica nerve clamp (the reason why you get the pain) to lessen. There are a large number of good exercises on YouTube that you can follow (DM me if you want links to the ones that I followed). Rest or bed rest is unfortunately the worst things you can do for sciatica. One cannot and should not continue hard training or anything drastic, but specific exercises along with painkillers / anti inflammation drugs are the best remedy.

Hope you get better...and please don't ignore sciatica exercises.

• Edited

Hi Paul, It def sounds like Sciatica. Sorry to hear this. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I had a similar story. I used to train hard, then Sciatica got me. My pain/shock was at my outer knee. I ignored it trying to be tough at first. I was down for 7 mos. Sciatica can last anywhere from 4-6weeks-years, depending on your case and actions. I took an MRI to pinpoint it. Mine was L4-L5 5mm slipped disk. 1) Try and control the pain, 2) X-ray/MRI to confirm, 3) Get a Chiro that has experience with Sciatica. They can help manipulate the disc back in, 4 ) Physical therapy- build the necessary unbalanced muscles to strengthen and prevent, 5) Walk- try and stay active. Staying sedentry will not help you to get better. Hang in there. You can do it. Feel free to contact me with any questions. ~Mario

• Edited

I know completely how you feel. I'm afraid to say I'm going into my 10th week of this and as you say only have GP consultation s over the phone leading to meds worth £60 including Naproxen and co codamel which didn't work. I had side effects with Naproxen. So I am managing my pain with scolding baths as my left leg loves heat, massages and my faith in Jesus Christ. I have spoken to many sufferers not on this forum who say painkillers don't work. It's a nerve pain , how do you isolate that and treat it? I've visited A & E 3 times now. My pain has intensified as I forgot and over stretched for something felt it immediately. Unfortunately for us we have this awful pain during this pandemic and no one wants to deal with us. I've had a MIR and scan for my knee which keeps buckling and then I fall but thank God all is clear. Hospital has arranged an appointment for an osteopath. I haven't driven for 2 months now and drive a manual, so need the rehabilitation. My appetite has gone, lost well over a stone and now signed off from work. Stay positive and if you don't know who Jesus Christ is get to know Him now is a great time. Take good care yourself fellow sufferer.

• Posted

Thankyou. I was taken into hospital yesterday, ambulance, etc as I couldn't move for pain. They would not mri scan as said its not cancerous and I can control my bowls. But they did give me some medication that took away the pain. They sent me home with no prescription. Today I woke up back in agony, so phoned 111 my wife's getting a prescription now for me. Get the feeling the NHS don't want to help, obviously they have a lot to cope with atm so I understand but.. I'm in constant agony.

• Edited

OMG, so sorry! This sounds almost like how my sciatica hell started. I could barely move due to the pain so went to emergency. And like you, as I could control my bowels, and the location of pain, the diagnosis was lumbago - which is a generic term for sciatica. My recovery was long and painful, but I did recover mainly with a combination of painkillers, anti-inflammation drugs and physiotherapy.

I do get flares now and then, but now I know what to do (exercises) immediately, so its more or less manageable most of the time.

All the best...hope you get help fast. As you are experiencing, it is very painful, but it does get better.

• Posted

Guys 3rd visit to A&E doctor didn't speak looked in the worst mood, not in a mood to care, help, show compassion! tapped my knees, touched my foot walked off garbling "pain killers needed, go home."

I couldn't move. I'd fell at home and had 7 hours lying on the floor. After a few hours he came back, "we can't help you you need to go" I replied "I can't move" 2 nurses tried to sit me up. Pain beyond belief. They stood me up. 5 seconds later I woke up on a drip in a bed. Fuming with A&E absolute terrible care. They could clearly see my agony and inability to move but insisted I go. Having 2 nurses carry me out, just to get rid and resulting in me passing out with pain.

I was taken to a ward and God must exist. Heaven.. Dr's that cared and wanted answers. Back xray first. 8 had to be sedated as I couldn't lie on bed. Dr not happy as xray was good so arranged MRI.

I couldn't lie down on MRI and passed out. Eventually S1 extrusion and protrusion of another disc.

I was being sent yo another hospital for urgent surgery. However they are only doing emergency surgery. Atm. I am in a pain control ward now and able to do lots more due to the drugs, I know the drugs can't be given forever but atm it is so good 1 to know what the issue is, the not knowing was horrendous 2 actually being relaxed, even though it probably is short lived. Guys keep pushing hospitals. If I hadn't collapsed with pain I would never have been helped. GP s and A&E do not care at all where I live. It's taken extreme agony beyond belief and passing out in hospital to get this problem identified.

I know my battle isn't over yet but got the faith.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.