Sciatica pin only in my buttock

Posted , 3 users are following.

Reading all the various contibutions on this excellent forum I get the impression that sciatic pain runs down one leg and is usually a sharp type pain.

I'm experiencing, however, more of an ache type pain in my buttock--it's certainly not like an electric shock running all the way down my leg.

A  recent MRI scan has confirmed "a significant disc extrusion at L4/5".

Is anyone else experiencing this type of pain restricted to deep inside the buttock?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, that should have obviously been "pain" and not "pin" in the heading!!

• Posted

The nature of the pain can vary and move. It depends on where exactly the nerve is being pressed. And everything is more or less free to move. Some symptoms are more common than others but your symptoms are not inconsistent with pressure on the nerve from the disc.

Have you been given any steroids or other medication?

• Posted

I had some cortisone injections but they didn't work!

• Posted

Right. Steroids can help with inflammation if the nerve if that is the main cause of the pain but they can help much with direct pressure from a bulging disc, not least because the ongoing contact just causes new inflammation.

Have you started any physio yet? This is a good plan as it can reduce symptoms over time by helping to take pressure off the disc and allowing it to get back into a healthier shape. You will find posts on here attesting to that, and a friend of mine with really bad symptoms avoided surgery that way.

• Posted

Sorry! That first sentence should have read

Steroids CAN help with inflammation of the nerve if that is the main cause of the pain but they CAN'T help much with direct pressure from a bulging disc, not least because the ongoing contact just causes new inflammation.

• Posted

Thanks Mihael---that makes a lot of sense.
  • Posted

I Have a disc herniation at L4 It hits my back in line with my hip, my thigh, the outside of my shin and sometimes my shin itself. My middle 3 toes and occasionally my groin, also can`t think why my thumbs.  For a couple of yrs it was just my buttock.

• Posted

Ur thumbs will be something else maybe carpel tunnel or to do with the discs in yr neck arthuritis
    • Posted

I haven`t got carpel tunnel but could be my neck has had a injury there yrs ago. It always coinsides with when my back has a really bad spasm so maybe the way I am holding my spine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.