Sciatica started 18 months post Total Hip Replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone suggest effective Sciatic pain medication please? Pain in buttocks and down right leg caused by a lower back problem post surgery. The Chiropractor told me I also have a problematic Piriformis muscle.

Have tried Pregabalin which caused nasty side effects including gross swelling of legs. Tramadol had not effect on my pain at all.

Would be grateful to know of anything else to help ease pain.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

a physio is a far better bet than chiro. chiro make you back and generally do more damage so you have to keep going back. physio will give you exercises targeted to your problems and compensate fir your hip replacement. sorry, to so, but no amount of physio or chiro will treat nerve damage or disc issues.

• Posted

sorry re typos, I meant, 'chiro's generally make you keep going back and mostly do not fix the problem'. I'm a believer in seeing people medically trained to treat spinal conditions that actually give good advice, exercises and treatment. Not pummel, stretch and twist you until something a numb. Not everyone has weight gain on nerve pain medications. I didn't but did have awful nightmares.

PLEASE, see another spinal surgeon before you seek treatment. Not every spinal surgeon is correct. I'd suggest seeing 3 -4 for opinions and go from there. Piriformis syndrome is an unfortunate common complication of hip replacement surgery so guessing that is not exactly rocket science. I'm sorry, I just see so many ppl going to chiro's for many years and none that I've seen, get permanently better via a chiro. They improve, go back, over and over. I'm just saying, be careful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.