Scintillating scotoma

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old male and have been getting scintillating scotomas since I was around 15-16. At first it was around once a year, but now it seems to be 1-2 every couple of months. I get no headache afterwards or maybe just a slight one. It seems to happen mostly when I'm on my PC.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Same with me,ive ben getting them a couple times a month the last year,ive also have had actual silent migrains a few times,so im thinking that is the caus. Ben very stressed here lately and know Stress can be a trigger. Xx
    • Posted

Hi

How old are you and when did you start getting this? 

• Posted

Hi,oh even when i was young id get them now and then,hardly ever got them,at the time i just thought my eyes were tired. Now Im 60 and with the internet,pretty much am sure thats what i experiance also according to eye doc. Tremendous stress the past year i believe have increased this.
    • Posted

Hi Ivan43935, I am 60 years old and started getting these in 2002, so I started around 45 yrs old.  They are extremely unpredictable I can go from none in a year to the most I have had to date is 10 in a year.  Never get the headache.  They come when I am tired, stressed, happy, anxiety ridden... it doesn't seem to matter.  Mine last from 15 to 40 minutes.  But I have learned to sit somewhere quiet, close my eyes, watch the light show and ride it out.  I have been told  by my PCP  if they get too chronic that beta blockers might help. But I have never investigated further.

• Posted

Hi how are you?

I've just read your other discussion about your swollen occiptal lymph nodes? How is it now? I have the same problem and too scared to see the doctor

• Posted

I started getting this in 2008. I see hook shaped flashing colors in the right part of my vision, followed closely by a migraine, and once, I had trouble speaking. I would intend to say one thing, and say something else entirely, and I was not able to write a decent text, while also experiencing short-term memory loss. I had thought that this was just Scintillating Scotoma, but I've found that the speech issues are also related, known as Expressive Aphasia. It has occurred anywhere between twice a day, to once every 6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.