scleral buckle removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I'm having my scleral buckle out in a couple of months as it's sticking out and visible as a big lump in my eye! Cant find much info on this anywhere so was wondering if anyone has had this done and can tell me more about it please? Is it as bad as the original scleral buckle surgery in terms of recovery time? is it done under general aanaesthetic?  Anything else I should know about it? 

Thanks in advance any input would be appreciated! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have never heard of it being taken out.  My daughter had a detached retina 12 years ago and they put in a buckle.  Thank god everything is okay.  I would get a 2 and 3 rd opinion just to be sure that it is the right thing to do.  Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Its being taken out because of how it looks aesthetically as the lump is very large and my eye is red and irritated, also because its at risk of poking through they eye and causing infection. He said there was a one in 3 risk of redetachment in the first 6 months post surgery and a one in ten after that which is why im wwaiting a couple of months to have it out.

It does get done from time to time in cases like mine or if it becomes infected. However I really didnt get any information on the procedure and recovery and I would like to prepare myself and my uni work if its the same as the initial operation. Hoping someone on here has been through something similar!  

• Posted

Hi did you get your buckle removed and what was your outcome?  I had a scleral sponge buckle sewn on my eye 3 months ago to re-attach my retina.  I noticed last week it poking through the conjunctiva so yesterday I went to get it checked and they removed it from my eye whilst i sat in the chair.  It was painless just a bit of cutting and tugging.  My retina had reattached so surgeon is confident it will stay on and im now discharged.

I can see really well, im very happy to have full movement back in my eye :-)

Fingers 

• Posted

Hello, may i know where you or family member  got the buckle or removed maybe and how much it may costs there ?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello, may i know where you got the buckle removed and how much it may costs there ?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.