Scleroderma, Systemic Sclerosis with overlapping Sjogrens Syndrome, Reynauds - I`ve got them all.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I`m male, 68 and live in England, UK, and have just found this site after reading an article in one of our national newspapers.

I`ve had the above autoimmune conditions for 10 years now.

It all started off with a very sudden onset of Reynauds in my hands, then I had trouble putting my painful feet on the ground as I got out of bed. Then I got general fatigue and muscle and joint pain. I went to the doctors who made me an appointment with a Rheumatologist. He instantly said Scleroderma and Inflammatory Arthritis and issued Prednisolone steroids, the steroids had an instant effect. Took bloods and gave me a UK web address to look at everything to do with the condition.

On our next meeting he confirmed his diagnosis and made appointments for x-rays , and heart and lung function tests. he also made me an appointment to a Musculo Skeletal Consultant.

After that appointment I was the diagnosed with Systemic Sclerosis with overlapping Sjogrens Syndrome.

I had severe side effects to all the drugs I was given for the conditions so, I began an internet journey to find an alternative natural anti-inflammatory. After 6 months of trawling the internet I found a scientific paper by a Japanese medic.

The gist of it was that he tested his theory (on himself) that large doses of Vitamin D ( which has anti-inflammatory properties ) would help his condition. I followed his routine and it helped massively.

I told my Consultant what I was going to do and he backed me doing this.

10 years ago Vitamin D was very little known vitamin. Pregnant mothers were spoken to about it and as far as I know, that was about it. In this country it is never out of the newspapers or off the internet now.

My Musculo Skeletal Consultant is now issuing Vitamin D as a basic necessity to all newly diagnosed patients at her hospital department, based on my findings and usage.

I take 1000 iu daily, after the initial 6 week very high dosage, at the outset of my trial.

I do not take Calcium supplements as together, they can have heart and kidney side effects.

I must stress that, this is my own personal journey, and it may not be the one you should take.

I count myself as extremely lucky that I had the right Doctor and Consultants and Nurses looking out for me along the way.

I hope this has been of help or interest to you.

John

4 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to add that over the years; I`ve met hundreds of patients who have had wonderful results from the same drugs that were not good for me. Take the experts guidance please.

John

• Posted

Hello there ,

Got them all , i have recently been given the diagnosis of MCTD Mixed Connective Tissue Disease,

So much on all possibble symptoms it's a slow education to get ..

Paquaniel {sp} gave some immediate help with jointsbut the dry mouth the hands swollen burning,

MCTD maybe check that out

• Posted

Hi John

Nice to hear from someone in a similar situation – I am 74 and was diagnosed with limited systemic scleroderma a couple of years ago. I have had Raynauds for at least 20 years so goodness knows when the SSc actually started! I don't take any medication, don't see the point really as this condition isn't curable. But funnily enough I started vit D a couple of days ago off my own bat – I reckoned that as my innards are so compromised by the condition I am definitely not absorbing important minerals and vitamins so Vit D seems sensible in our climate.

I am interested to know which bits of you are affected as this condition is so rare and we are all so different. I have bronchiectasis (though I wouldn't know it as my lung function is very good!!! – it just showed up on a routine CT scan), my oesophagus is damaged (again, no symptoms), Raynauds pretty bad, but worse is my guts – completely disfunctional with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth tested and diagnosed at Royal Free) so I have lost a lot of weight and find it hard to maintain the minimal weight I am now.

Any similarity with your experience??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.