Sclerotherapy experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am going under a sclerotherapy procedure soon. I am very worry about complications or anything that might go wrong. ( pretty much the fear of the unknown).

I would like to hear from someone who did it to tell me what to expect. & whether it was successful and if they recommend it. I am only 32 yrs old but had varicose veins for at least 10 years and it's only getting worse. Is it worth doing the sclerotherapy or shall i just continue to push through for as long as i can take it ?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had sclerotherapy as an add on to having the main vein removed by radio frequency ablation. At the end the surgeon said he needed to do sclerotherapy to sort out the crooked veins. The whole procedure only took twenty minutes so the sclerotherapy was very short. They just injected foam into my leg into the small veins. I was given a local anaesthetic so did not feel anything. I was able to carry on as normal afterwards although I waited a few days before going swimming.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

What side effects did you experience?

The small veins were spider ones (red , blue and purple) or green ones but small in size ?

Did you need to keep going back for reformation of new veins?

They said that I have in sufficient system that causes these leaks and I probably won't be done ever. So i feel like if I am gonna end up having to live with it at some point, so y the hassle ?

I would appreciate an advice from a patient prospective.

• Posted

I don’t remember having any side effects. I think there were 32 veins he did, that is the number of red dots on my leg that I counted anyway. I did go back to have an ultra sound but that was because I had had the radio frequency ablation as well and it was just a check up. Are you having pain with the veins? 
    • Posted

Yes I do, I have all kind of veins ( green are the biggest ones , blue, red and purple) he wants to treat them all with sclerotherapy and gave me a long sheet of 7 complications. And from his own mouth it's gonna get worse before it gets better and I am looking at 6 months window to completely heal from any bruising or trapped blood that needs to be drained. And during that time I will be visiting him to get the work done and it's not a one done kinda procedure.

That didn't sound right to me considering what they advertise. Also he had my mind set on EVLT. which I originally wanted then he said sclerotherapy.

Any advice would be highly appreciated

• Posted

I had radio frequency rather than EVLT. I believe it is the same sort of system but the laser can cause burning which put me off. I think they warn you about absolutely everything as they are always afraid of getting sued and they can then always say they told you. 
  • Posted

I totally understand what you're saying. But they didn't make me feel this way about trapped blood and bruising

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.