Scoliosis 27 years on...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, looking for some advice. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 11 (now 38) and I was borderline at the age of 16 of getting a operation due to my curve (S shaped). I used to get awful back pain but due to that subsiding I decided against the operation and have had no issues as such. 

I have always had one hip higher than the other and clothes can look funny on me and just don’t sit right which I’m sure a few of you can sympathise with. I’ve had a feeling that I’m beginning to shrink and a few of my friends have politely pointed out that I look lop sided and along with feeling short of breath I’m beginning to wonder if this is connected to my scoliosis. I had a lung x-Ray a few months back and they mentioned that they could see I had scoliosis. The last time I seen anyone was over 20 years ago so my question is, do you think I should ask for a review? I’m in no pain as such so don’t want to use up valuable resource time but just wondering if this is something I should get checked from time to time? 

Many thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

As a healthcare professional I would absolutely recommend you get an assessment from a doctor or physiotherapist, not because there is likely anything "sinister" wrong but because there may be some techniques or exercises you can employ to help slightly correct the problem, or prevent it from worsening. 

If a patient came to see me about this sort of problem I would definitely NOT think of them as a time waster!

Hope this helps,

Will

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess because I’m not feeling pain with it, I don’t want to feel as though I’m trying to find something wrong with me! I actually have a few health ailments so I’ll generally do all I can to stay away from GP’s if I can. I will definitely get an appointment though and hopefully it’s nothing but suppose it is worth checking after 20 years! 
  • Posted

Hello,

I read this and it could have been me! Diagnosed at 19ish and I returned to be checked up just last year! It has given me food for thought and I am now considering surgery. I was considered too old to have surgery and 19, but all these years on... who'd have thought it... I'm young again.

When I say I am considering it.... I am scared to actually go on the list although feel it would be my best option.

Definitely make the appointment so much has changed over the years. It is defo worth tge check up. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

Wow! Good to know it’s not me being neurotic. Has yours gotten worse? I was borderline for a Op when I was 17 and I decided against it but I think I need checked. I spoke to my GP briefly on the phone last week and she tried to downplay it saying it was a “adolescent disorder” which is isn’t. I’m going into see her in 2 weeks and we’ll take it from there. 

I don’t blame you having reservations but it does seem as though the op is a lot quicker recovery time than what it used to be. 

• Posted

Hello,

Hope you are getting on ok. I have officially been placed on the waiting list. I was still unsure right up until I was in the waiting room, but after recieving a reply from Emily on here today ... I went for it! I hope you have had some good advice. It is definitely worth seeking the advice. Like I said I left a massive gap and things change so much with science. smile

• Posted

I seen a consultant today in regards to my scoliosis. He has referred me for a MRI scan so that I can get my curvature measures and to see if there’s any sign of degeneration. My old scans from 20+ years ago have all been destroyed so there’s no way in knowing what my curve was then. 

Looking at the scan I didn’t think my curve looked too bad so might only need to up my exercise to try and get me looking straighter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.