Scoliosis and MS

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had MS for many years, but about 3 years ago, I noticed I was leaning to the right.  I thought for balance, but went to PT which evolved into x-ray panel for scoliosis.  I had a 40 degree curve in lower thoracic and upper lumbar spine.  

I was given a brace but had noticed that recently, it just didn't seem to be working as well as it had.  Back to physical therapist and more x-rays.  This time the curve is 55 degrees so in one year it has deteriorated quite quickly. (I've read the average is usually a couple of percentage points per year.)

Complicating the issue is because of my MS and spasticity,

I have a Baclofen Pump which is a pump implanted into your abdomen with a catheter running from the pump into the intrathecal space (for me that's T9.)

So I'm headed for an appointment with the neurosurgeon that

placed the pump to see if the pump and surgery for the scoliosis

are compatible.

The radiologist who did the MRI for me came out and questioned me about the rapid deterioration of my scoliosis.  They had a set of films from 2012 when they were checking placement of the pump, and he said there was absolutely no scoliosis in the 2012 x-ray, and I have never previously been diagnosed with scoliosis as a adolescent.

I haven't had any falls or accidents, MS really isn't a common reason someone would develop scoliosis.  The only theory that's been proposed is that possibly the extreme weakness of the muscles on my left side caused the muscles on the right to overcompensate and pull my body to the right, possibly causing the scoliosis...but the timeline, again, seems not to fit this scenario.

So what I'm asking is if anyone my age (65) was diagnosed with quickly deteriorating scoliosis and if so, what was proposed as the cause of the rapid deterioration.  Just the luck of the draw ? smile

Thanks, in advance, for anything someone might add to this discussion. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Smyelin

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and unfortunately I haven't any answers for you but about five years ago

having had two very stable curves at 40 degrees for 35+ years ( I'm now 67) literally overnight my curves worsened.  I now have two curves of 70 degrees.  Turned out I have severe osteoporosis which they think played a big part in this.  They can't tell from my DEXA  whether I had a spinal crush or not, it could just be natural progression of kypho scoliosis or it could be due to osteoporosis.  It might be worth asking a question about osteoporosis.  You're the right age.  You don't necessarily have to have broken anything.

Best wishes

Valory  

• Posted

Hi Valory,

Thanks for the insight.  I'll definitely bring up the osteoporosis issue when I see the neurosurgeon.   

I'm interested about your story.  Are you in lots of pain with curves that

extreme.  I'm having a pretty intense level of pain when I'm on my feet.

Sitting or sleeping, no problem, it's when gravity gets involved and I have

to stand up that it can get bad...the longer I'm standing the worse it is.

With the MS, I haven't walked far in years, I just know that "my normal" for walking has been affected.

When I read your degrees, all I could imagine was pain and spasm, and if so, I wish for you some relief from the pain.

Thanks again for your story and the information.

• Posted

Hi Smyelin

When it first happened there was a great deal of what they called referred pain, it was in my right shoulder,  left side mid back and right hip, not where I usually have back ache. It was totally different to my "normal" back ache.  The first three months the pain was severe, It was difficult to get through the day, couldn't really be on my feet for more than 10-15 mins at a time and there were a lot of daily tasks I could no longer do.   

I've always tried to be in control of my scoliosis rather than it controlling me and used yoga and swimming to keep the pain in check but had to give these up a several years ago due to another health issue so when this happened I signed up with an osteopath who teaches Schroth (exercise programme designed for scoliosis patients) and although this is expensive and time consuming it has helped enormously with the back pain. Most days i am reasonably free of pain now and can get on with my life but I still can't carry very much.  Lifting is a problem and so is shopping but generally I'm amazed with how much things have improved.  

Thanks for your concern but the pain is generally under control again.

Let us know how you're getting on. 

Take care

valory 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.