Scoliosis diagnose Need Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello my name is Mariel I have a nephew who suffers Scoliosis and is also autistic high level he is 21 years old and every day complains about the pain we are from the Dominican Republic and we would appreciate if anyone can provide us any information about a foundation that works these cases. We love him very much and we are worried about submitting him to this operation because when he was born we had to submit him to two operations of his heart condition.

Please I will appreciated any information.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I take it that he wasn't treated then when he was growing up like most scoliosis cases are so that surgery isn't needed?  Usually if you can get the diagnosis before or as the child is hitting puberty and before the big growth spurt you can treat scoliosis with a series of back braces that the child wears.  Sometimes it is just at night, sometimes it is all the time, depending upon the severity of the curvature of the spine.  Often, this can prevent the child from needing any surgery.  Left untreated to adulthood, you will have a curvature, some are so slight you only notice it when the person bends over and you see a hump.  Others aren't so lucky and they resemble the famous hunchback of Notre Dame.  I do know that a lot of doctors like to perform charity work in countries like yours and will travel down with a full team, nurses, anesthesiologists etc to do the procedures.  Your nephew is at increased risk with his heart, but a lot of these young adults have similar risks and indeed, the curvature itself, if bad enough can cause a big anesthetic risk.  These are not easy cases, even in patients with no heart troubles.  Yet there are still a lot of doctors willing to give these young people a chance a pain free life.  I would suggest you reach out to your local churches as they usually organize these things and ask to have your nephew considered.  The other thing that can be done is he could be flown to the US for the surgery.  A lot of times a church in the US will sponsor a child or young adult for a surgery, they will house him and his family during the surgery as a part of their ministry. I would really encourage you to start looking if he's in pain, I wouldn't let a heart surgery when he was young let you be nervous, a good anesthesiologist can handle this. I know because I am a retired one,

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.