Scoliosis? Hip? knee?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After a hip and knee replacement on the right, and subsequently finding I had a quite bad scoliosis made much worse by unequal leg length, I am in such pain. My back has been very painful for a long time, way before the hip replacement 10 years ago. I am on Tramadol, Naproxen and Amitriptilyne much to no effect now. I was prescribed Gabapentin 3 months ago, but stopped taking them 3 weeks back as no improvement noticed. I did titrate down but only for 2 weeks. The pain is much much worse. I noticed also around Xmas that the other hip was starting to hurt similar to the replaced one plus that pain seems to be going down to the knee. So what with the back, the hip the knee and a long standing bursitis in the unoperated thigh I am at my wits end. Any thought folks? A bullet might work!! I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow.

Thank you.

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

No bullets, please!  Hopefully, your GP will be able to give you the proper pain meds.  You might also look into the herb, kratom.  It's not addicting and is VERY helpful with chronic pain.

• Posted

Morning,  Yes I understand what your saying. I had my right knee replaced in April and my hip done in Sept and feel the same way.  Talked to the surgeon and he checked my legs and ordered a lift in my left shoe 3/8 inch.  Some relief right away but I want to glide when I walk so I went to the chiropractor, took the insole out of the right shoe and started to take turmeric for inflammation.  It is not perfect but much better.  Wishing you the best and grateful to see your post!!  Smiles from Iowa!

• Posted

How do you know if it's scoliosis?  If it really is, you need a neurosurgeon, not a GP.  Plus, a difference in leg length could easily be caused by your hips being out of alignment.  That's fixed by a chiropractor.  I've had that done lots of times.

I've had a hip and knee replaced and TONS of incidences of sciatica plus four spine surgeries including two fusions.  That's about 4 1/2 pounds of metal in me.  I'm turning 70 and virtually pain free.  You need to see the right doctors.

• Posted

Thank Chico, you gave me lots of good advice 18 months ago when I had a knee replacement.  I didn’t put all my information down, trying to condense my story.  Had RH hip replaced ten years ago, which gave me a bursitis, which is still painful, and an agonising back ache. I’ve been attending the NHS Pain clinic for about 7 years, with no apparent ease of symptoms. Unconnected to this a couple of  years ago I saw an X-ray of my stomach and noticed straightaway that my spine had a very noticeable bend.  Referred to a spine consultant in our next biggest city, who took more X-rays and decided it was too advanced for his expertise. He sent me last summer to the regional spinal centre 100 miles away. After mri and ct scans I was told I had a leg length discrepancy and hips out of alignment, and discussed all the risks and also wasn’t guaranteed any success, and possibly making things worse. I just couldn’t decide what to do, so he’s leaving it to me to think about it and weigh things up. He will see me before this summer.  The knee on that side became very painful as the leg length put more pressure on it, so knee replacement followed in 2016. Backache really bad, on strong painkillers. Leg possibly even longer with new knee! Supposed to wear heel lift but that makes my back worse.  Just around Xmas I developed a pain in my good leg, just like when I needed the bad hip replaced. Also the pain goes down sometimes to the knee and my calf.   Also, are you still awake?!! , I think I have fibromyalgia to boot!!    Just going now to see Gp to discuss pain relief. 

I’m fed up, ever since I retired I’ve been in pain.  ☹️

• Posted

Go back to work...you'll feel a lot better!!!  I'm 70 and have no intention of retiring.

Try Voltaren Gel (it's called something a bit different over there).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory!!!  Used it for hip bursitis, TKR, back pain and more.  Super stuff.

Have you seen a chiropractor for the hip alignment issue?  Might help a lot more than that and it's non-invasive.  Not a big meds fan.  I like to find the root cause of a problem and fix it.  For you, that's one step at a time.  Chiro.........

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, couldn’t go back to work, I was a nurse working 13 hour nights.  I’m very handicapped with walking, if I’m on my feet all morning I am in agony. Need a stick outside and my world is getting smaller.  I use Voltarol gel, helps a little.  The chiropractor can’t help as the replaced joint has made my leg longer than the other. Which has made the scoliosis much worse by pushing it over and twisting to the left.  I saw an ortho consultant last week and definitely need the other hip replacing, and on his list for the op.

The fibromyalgia problem query was settled by a blood test and no inflammatory markers present.  It turns out to be a reaction to coming off Gabapentin too quickly and going cold turkey. Soooo painful, all over my body.  Back on it now, at a smaller dose and a schedule to taper off much more slowly.   Fingers crossed that works.  Just fed up of the pain now. 

Thanks again 

• Posted

The op may not have made your leg longer.  Your hips may just be out of alignment.  Very common as we change our gait to avoid pain.  See a chiropractor.
    • Posted

I knew the instant I got out of bed after the hip replacement, sat in chair and was horrified, literally, by the sight of my leg. It looked like it wasn’t mine. It was inches longer. When I started to walk I had to hitch myself up to account for the extra length, and being a nurse I was all too aware what problems this would bring. 

I saw a chiropractor for private sessions with no change. 

The leg has pushed my hip up, resulting in the scoliosis being pushed over even further. 

The X-ray of my back is horrendous. 

Because for the last ten years I’ve used my good leg more for standing, this has 

now worn the knee out on the good leg, resulting in needing that hip replaced. 

It’s like the day the gasman came to call. ☹️

• Posted

Geez...  So are you thinking that an op on the other hip will give you equal leg length?  I'd see a different ortho and DEMAND that take place.  The first guy's ruler must have been defective.  A good second hip may solve a lot of your problems.  

• Posted

The best advice I can offer you is to act on what chico has told you this guy knows what he is talking about I really hope you can get some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.