Scoliosis "new"?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I just went to the orthopedic doctor today - my 3rd appointment for back pain. I have never been diagnosed with that before, and I thought it was something you were born with.

My doctor said it usually doesn't cause back pain, so it must be the arthritis in my lumbar region that is giving me the trouble... can anyone answer this please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Scoliosis is something that you are born with and you can also get this over time as well.

I have a curved lower spine and it pinches on my nerves making my muscles spasm which cause horrendous pain - currently taking cocodamol for this with ibuprofen so i can get to work everyday. Most days are a struggle to cope.

You may find it helpful to see an osteopath i went on monday and i have finally stopped using the cocodamol that i have relied on for the last 2 or more weeks.

They are not cheap to go to but i promise you they will work.unfortunately i am now also prone to arthritis in my back as i get older because of this.

One more thing if your doctor is anything like mine was he dismissed it as well so keep pushing, i saw the osteopath and she diagnosed it instead of my gp! Some of them give you a free 15 minute consultation - would not hurt to at least get their opinion?

hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks. Yes, I was recntly diagnosed with lumbar arthritis, S1-S4 I think, and then the next visit was to a PT and she said "Oh, you have some scoliosis too" - I do? I wonder if age can cause the scoliosis or if it's related to the arthritis (thorasic and lumbar)? Do you know? No one ever mentioned that I had it before I was diagnosed with the arthitis(es).
    • Posted

My scoliosis was noticed when i was little as i twisted as i bent down therefore they xrayed me and found it.

Have you had an xray to confirm?

I am not 100% sure if you can get it later on in life or not.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks Dawn. Yes, I had an xray this past week just for pneumonia(!) and it was noted on there that was some thorasic degenerative disk disease.

My PT said it looked like it was curved, but the orthopedic doctor said it was there, but not necessarily causing my pain.

Thank you, it's just funny that I was never diagnosed with this before, and never, ever had back problems until now, walking all stiff because of my dizziness! Maybe they are unrealated.

• Posted

very possible.

I know mine is getting worse but all my GP wants me to do is see physio!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.